Re: Rabbit only eating greens

BenBun'sMom

Nice list but I would discourage the dock leaves simply because they might be problematic to a rabbit with a tendency to oxalic stones.

For anyone curious to learn, there are some fabulous references in print; a few of my favorites ...

Matthew Wood's The Book of Herbal Wisdom, although a drawback to his incredible scientific expertise is that he tends to delve into about 25 pages per herb ... a bit 'too much info' for practical use.

Lucile Moore's Rabbit Nutrition and Nutritional Healing is great because it is focused specifically on the rabbit, herbs appropriate and not to rabbits.

IMO the bible of all times for herbs for all reasons for all animals comes from Juliette de Bairacli Levy, and for rabbits I'd refer to her Complete Herbal handbook for Farm and Stable.

And another gem, quite well compiled/composed for a newbie, All You Ever Wanted to Know About Herbs for Pets by Wulff-Tilford (Mr. & Mrs.)  Full of useful benefits and cautions, color photos so you can hardly make a wrong choice (better than drawings IMO)

Randy Kidd, DVM, has great knowledge but unfortunately his current books in print are specific to cats and dogs.  You might search in herb journals for articles he's written through the years about wild herbs beneficial to rabbits.

Hope this helps anyone curious about the topic to explore.

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 3:04 PM christine7654321 <christine7654@...> wrote:
Broad or flat plantains are both fine. Not sure if they are called "common." I tried to research grasses and as far as I could see, true grasses are safe, but I'd confirm. My buns don't care for grasses really. I can also confirm these are safe: dandelion, curly doc, wild lettuce, willow, blackberry leaves, untreated roses (including stems and flowers), maple leaves, apple leaves and twigs, wild strawberry.

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 2:42 PM Laura via groups.io <Magnolia14=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I might be able to find some wild greens... are you talking about common plantain? And how do I know which grasses are ok to eat (given that I know they are not treated)?