Thymoma - asking for information


bunnylv109
 

My beloved 11 year old bunny Yogi has been diagnosed with possible thymoma two months ago.  It was an absolutely devastating news and I had very difficult time dealing with it.  I decided to not go the chemotherapy or radiation route at his advanced age but I am now considering steroids. He has been doing OK for the past two months since his diagnosis but 2 days ago I noticed that when he is grooming and his body is twisted to one side, his right eye becomes more pronounced, almost bulging but when he straightens his body it looks fine again, maybe it's just a little bit bigger. I called his exotic vet right away to discuss our options so that he doesn't suffer unnecessarily and he suggested starting steroids (which he considers an alternative to euthanasia). 
I heard very different stories about steroid use in bunnies so I was wondering if those of you who had the misfortune of going through that could share your experiences with using steroids for thymoma, whether it was helpful and if there were any side effects. I’m really not ready to say goodbye to Yogi yet but not knowing how quickly it will be progressing, I don’t want to put him in a situation when he will be suffocating and not able to breathe so it would be really helpful if you could also share your experiences with the speed of progression of that illness, whether it progresses really quickly and one day I might find him unable to breathe or whether it will be slowly getting worse and worse and I will be able to catch it in time and decide when it is time to put him to sleep :(  
I know his time with us is very limited but I want to do what is best for him during that time so I would appreciate it if you could share your experiences and help me make the decision that would serve him the best.  

Thank you very much,

Beata and Yogi


Join main@etherbun.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.