From: main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io> on behalf of Christine J. Cox via groups.io <christinejcox@...>
Sent: 12 November 2020 13:58
To: Mary <mmcneilly@...>; main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Etherbun Main] Material to Put In a Digging Box

I have not actually done this yet myself, although I have plans to at some point:  I read about filling a digging box with pea stone, small rounded pebbles.  You would want to rinse it well first, as it is usually covered in stone dust, but I loved the idea of this because it's certainly cleaner and easier to pick up than dirt or sand.  Plus there is less concern about contaminants or insects present in sand or stone.  I also hoped it would help file my guy's nails down!  You can get a bag at a garden center fairly inexpensively.  The person who recommended this said he used an enclosed box, such as a transparent plastic storage box.  He cut a hole in one side 4-5" from the bottom so the stone would stay contained.  Personally, I would want to keep the cover off, as I would want better airflow, but it sounds like a great containment system.

Good luck with it, hopefully I will be inspired to put one together this winter!
Christine