Re: Monty is NOT a good boy

Nancy Ainsworth

She could always be Montie now, Dave. 
We took in a female bun some years back who we spayed and luckily caught her uterine cancer. She had all the female plumbing (obviously) but when she died we had a necropsy done and she had male parts, too -not all that uncommon, but a surprise all the same.
I can only imagine the look on your face when you found out your boy was a girl. :) 
Nancy

-----Original Message-----
To: main@etherbun.groups.io; beckyatthebeach@...
Sent: Sun, Feb 21, 2021 4:43 pm
Subject: Re: [Etherbun Main] Monty is NOT a good boy

The folks at the vet were trying to think up a "replacement" name for Monty, but I'm not planning on changing anything - she doesn't care that Monty is more of a male's name, and there's enough "baby" and "fuzzy butt" and "squishball" and of course, "bunny rabbit" in how I talk to her.  I'm still stuck using male pronouns (force of habit) and I don't think it matters except in medical/clinical terms.
I can't imagine how your neighbors didn't realize that Harry was an intact male - that's very easy to see (at least in my experience) but if they didn't care (or were entirely clueless)... How does one not notice the "churchbells" hanging down?  Of course, you have to let the bunny be a part of the family and run around to notice that.  I'm glad you took him and gave him a good life, no matter how much time was left.  My first bunny Q-Tip was never neutered, since I adopted him at around age 5 and we decided not to put him through the ordeal.
In Monty's case, I guess we got lucky that there was no sign of reproductive cancer.  Now he/she just has to get over "being outed".  :)
Dave

On 2/20/2021 10:16 AM, Rebecca Rose wrote:
Dave,

I have to say, having read your loving posts for years now, that my initial reaction to your "headline" was something like "Waddya mean Dave - of COURSE Monty is a good boy - no matter what he may have done!!!" - but I guess I should have known....definitely laughing here, and I thank you for that!!

My very first rabbit (this is back in the late 90s) was called Harriet for 10 years by my uncaring and neglectful neighbors - from whom I finally rescued this bun.  I'll never forget our first trip to the vet, when the vet got to the "undercarriage" and looked up at me and said "Um....this rabbit is a boy...".  In that instant, he became Harry.  And he lived happily with us for another 3 years, and was the sweetest, most loving bun ever.  I miss him so much.  (And I elected not to risk anesthesia for a neuter at his advanced age.)

-Becky and the Bunnies-

From: main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io> on behalf of David L. Fisher <dlf@...>
Sent: Friday, February 19, 2021 7:01 PM
To: main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io>
Subject: [Etherbun Main] Monty is NOT a good boy

Monty is a good girl, not a good boy.  I brought Monty to the vet this
week due to a concern about a watery eye, and the vet did a full exam
from head to toe, and discovered that there was never a neuter done (we
never had a reason to check and assumed we knew the history), so he
sexed Monty and determined that my fuzzball is a female.  There is no
evidence of a spay, so Monty might still be intact, in which case we are
not planning any surgery at this point - I've had Monty for almost 6
years now.

Perhaps this explains what happened with my attempts at bonding with
other bunnies.  I wasn't really expecting a gender identity issue with
my bunny, but... notice how I avoided the use of pronouns in reference
to Monty.  Maybe I can use the term "tomboy" or something.  :)

Monty's eye is fine, no indication of anything wrong, but I wanted to
err on the side of caution.

Dave

Join main@etherbun.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.