Actually, it was my understanding that unspayed females have an 85% chance of developing reproductive cancer by age 3, and Monty is at least twice that age.

I'm currently more concerned about her appetite, which seems to be affected by some gas - I've tried giving simethicone a couple times, and it seems to have reducred the amount of gurgling, but she's still acting a little off.  She may be going back to the vet sooner than we think if that doesn't improve.

Dave

On 2/28/2021 9:59 AM, Rebecca Rose wrote:
I realized, sadly, after I made the remark about not neutering my first bunny (rescued when he was 10+) that I was STILL thinking of Monty as a boy!  My apologies, sweet Monty.

I, too, would lean toward spaying her now.  Similar to many of you, I once rescued 2 girls together (not sisters, but bonded) - as is often the case, their history was pretty much unknown - but they were likely between 4 and 5 years old.  After I'd gotten them settled in and examined for other issues, I went ahead and had them both spayed.  The vet actually called me, mid-surgery on one, to ask if she could possibly be pregnant (me:  NO!!), because she had a large mass in her uterus.  Vet removed it (I believe there were smaller areas of concern as well), and that bun is now between 8 and 9 y.o. and still doing great.  Although all of our experiences are "anecdotal", together they seem to indicate a strong likelihood of an unspayed female developing reproductive cancer in "middle age"- and actual statistics seem to bear this out too.

-Becky-

From: main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io> on behalf of David L. Fisher <dlf@...>
Sent: Saturday, February 27, 2021 4:03 PM
To: main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io>; bustercharlie@... <bustercharlie@...>; karen@... <karen@...>
Subject: Re: [Etherbun Main] Monty is NOT a good boy

Well, I must admit - I was not intending on having Monty spayed at this point (not wanting to introduce any new stress) but the cancer issue has been on my mind.  My first bunny, Q-Tip, was never neutered (my vet and I chose not to put him through the st4ess and risk) and he lived happily enough, but I have no idea what killed him (no necropsy) or whether being intact had anything to do with it.  Sigh.

Now I'm giving serious consideration to having a spay done, just to be sure she's okay now and in the future.  I've had older bunnies that were fixed later in life before I adopted them, so I have a lot to think about.

Dave

On 2/26/2021 10:43 AM, Meg Brown wrote:
  I agree with Chris snd Karen.   My Rosie was almost 6 when she was spayed and found to have uterine cancer.   It did not spread.    Rosie lived a wonderful life, (Chris, you will remember her from my FB posts)
    She passed peacefully at home at 13.5 years old.   She was paraplegic during her last year, but so alert and loving.  My cat, Cowboy, loved being near her as well.

     Bella was found to have ovarian cancer when she was spayed as an elder.
Our very skilled vet removed the tumors.  Bella lived for another 5 years and passed from kidney disease.

    I rescued a ten yo male with obvious testicular cancer.   He was neutered and recovered beautifully.

With all of these elder buns (and others over 5 yo), my vet and I agreed to go forward with their surgeries.   Their bloodwork was WNL.   We felt that the risk of cancer and other issues like pyometra was too great.

I always enjoy hearing about your sweet Monty🐰💓
   Sincerely,
     Meg

On Feb 26, 2021, at 10:25 AM, christofur2 <karen@...> wrote:

I totally agree with Chris.   It is not too late to have her spayed.   We do not know the ages of most of the rabbits coming into the rescue and many of them are mature females.   As long as they are otherwise healthy, do not hesitate to spay.   One older female,  although nothing abnormal was found during the spay,  developed mammary cancer a few years later.   Luckily it was caught early and removed,  but if we decided not to spay her,  she would have had a very different outcome.
Karen