Re: [EXTERNAL] [Etherbun Main] Stasis - moult relief suggestions

hunhare

The ONLY enzymes that will break down keratin (the main protein component of hair) is pancreatic enzymes.  You can get freeze-dried powder at most natural food stores.

We suspend the contents in 10cc of clean water with a tiny bit of aloe nectar to make it palatable.  It works best at a neutral pH, so our vets also recommend giving a small dose of famotidine about an hour before giving the enzymes.

Along with lots of oral hydration (which is critical) and occasional enema, the enzymes seem to work really well.

Bromelain and papain will break up mucus proteins holding a "hairball" together, but they will not break down keratin.

The real key is hydration of intestinal contents, and lactulose can help with that, as long as the bunny is well hydrated all around.

If you've never tried an enema to help jump start a static gut, it is the best way:

A few extra pointers: The enema can be repeated every four to six hours. The colon absorbs water. If your veteterinarian has directed you to give your ailing bunny subcutaneous fluids as part of her therapy, be sure to consult with your vet to determine whether any adjustments need to be made to fluid dosages.
www.bio.miami.edu
With all of the above, be sure to check with your vet if you're inexperienced, since you don't want to do more harm than good.

Dana

Dana Krempels, PhD

Senior Lecturer

Department of Biology