Re: progress?

David L. Fisher

Oops, I may have spoken too soon.  I let the newcomer out again (as I was writing the last message) and Monty was in her pen, but lunging at her when she got close, trying to claw and/or bite her.  In fact, Monty scared her enough that she made a puddle right there, one of the times.  So... the two bunnies have met, and Monty is still true-to-form about other bunnies in her home, so we'll see how things go.

I have to go back to MA in July for a wedding, so we have until then to try a bond, unless the newcomer gets a space at the rescue so she can be adopted.  Obviously I want what's best for both buns.

Dave

On 6/9/2021 9:28 PM, David L. Fisher wrote:
I let the newcomer out to run around last night, and made sure that Monty couldn't get too aggressive (and she seems to be inclined to nip through the x-pen fence).  So far, Monty has ignored her enough that I think it's a good sign.

Interestingly, not a single territorial marker (no poop, no pee) from her exploring, and also just sitting and calmly grooming herself.  Later on, I noticed that Monty went around and licked the carpet everywhere the newcomer was - and she also didn't leave any territorial markers.

I know it's early on, but I think this might be a good sign, except for the small displays of aggression.  I'm hoping that Monty will get used to her sharing the space, and come to accept her.  She is not hyper like the other bunnies I had here (which might annoy Monty) - she is very mellow, and I'm hoping she'll come out of her shell.  When she's in her pen, she invariably is in her hidey box when I'm around but will hang out visible and Monty will hang out so she can see her.

I hope this is an encouraging sign - it would be really nice if Monty had a friend, but so far I still can't tell if she lost interest after the other rescues that were here.