ADMIN: Demise of Yahoo Groups / Future of Etherbun

mark

Hi EB'ers,

This is to let you know that we are aware of the impending termination of Yahoo Groups, and our plan for the group going forward.
(If you havent heard... please read this:
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/yahoo-is-deleting-all-content-ever-posted-to-yahoo-groups)

We have been thinking of moving to another platorm for quite a while now - too long, as it turns out.
The shutdown now forces our hand.
Unfortunately we dont have time to survey the membership to see what people would like in a group.
Time is short.

We consider the accumulated history of messages and data to be a valuable resource, and want to take it with us.
Over the past year we have investigated moving to Google Groups, Facebook, and a few other possibilities.
These platforms have the advantage of being well-known and visible.
However, as far as we can tell none will let us transfer our messages.

We have identified (thanks to one of our members) another list-serv type of platform, "www.groups.io", which is similar to Yahoo Groups and fits our immediate needs.
The big advantage to this platform is that they will transfer the messages (or they claim to, at least... we'll see).
It also offers nice features such as sub-groups, tags, and easy to use forum tools for both members and moderators.
We will most likely be moving to this platform.
It is not free for a group of our size - but at $120 / year the cost is very reasonable.
We will probably ask members to chip in.

There is sure to be some bumps in the road, so please be patient - we haven't done this before.
When the time is right we will inform you about our timeline for the transfer and how to create your new account on groups.io.
Be aware that there may be a "dark" period when Yahoo has shutdown, but the new platform is not ready yet.

Yahoo's shutdown timeline is:
Oct 28 - No new content (posts) allowed.
Dec 14 - All data will be deleted.

Yahoo email will still work after the groups' shutdown.
We have a dedicated email account, "ebacmod@yahoo.com", for communicating with members.
Feel free to send any thoughts or concerns.
Especially in the event the group goes prematurely dark before we complete the transfer, use this address to contact Etherbun management.

Before the shutdown you may also send email to the group owners at "etherbun-owner@yahoogroups.com".

Thanks for your patience and understanding, and for sticking with the group.
-mark for EBAC

Deborah Beal

Thank you for the heads up.  P,ease keep us posted!!!🐇♥️🐇

Deborah,
Lucy, Zoe & Ollie
Maurice & Leo

We have a dedicated email account, "ebacmod@...", for
communicating with members.
Feel free to send any thoughts or concerns.
Especially in the event the group goes prematurely dark before we
complete the transfer, use this address to contact Etherbun management.

Before the shutdown you may also send email to the group owners at
"etherbun-owner@...".

Thanks for your patience and understanding, and for sticking with the group.
-mark for EBAC

motek_and_gozal

Re transferring of the archived posts— over the years I have bookmarked many important posts; however, when I try to access these, they are, without exception, unavailable, broken link or I am directed to a completely different message, unrelated to the one I saved. This is enormously frustrating as some truly crucial information has been forever lost. Searching of the archives with the title of the message or its author, both of which I saved for each post, also yields no results. Sad as it is, I have to wonder if there is any value in trying to transfer the archive and will it in any way be usable.

Tal

bpbhoo

in one of the links, it said a request to download all the data was possible but would take about 30 days. would that be feasible?  sha

mark

Hi Sha,

I've initiated that process as a backstop to try to save the group history in case Groups.io flubs it.
They're still chewing on it.

-mark for EBAC

On 10/23/2019 1:00 PM, bpbhoo@... [etherbun] wrote:
in one of the links, it said a request to download all the data was possible but would take about 30 days. would that be feasible??? sha

Christine J. Cox

Before this goes dark, I want to take the opportunity to thank the Admins of Etherbun for maintaining this site all these years, keeping us in line, and providing a wealth of information we would never be able to get anywhere else.  I sincerely hope we can experience a seamless transition, as I personally would be lost without the advice and support of all the great bunparents on this site.

Thanks so much for everything, here’s hoping for a smooth transition and hope to see you all on the other side!

Christine, Zyler, and angel boy Zeke

David L. Fisher

I'll add my thanks as well - this has been a great resource and I don't want to see it go away. There are so many wonderful people in this group and I definitely want to keep the whole thing alive.

Dave

On 10/25/19 9:57 AM, 'Christine J. Cox' christinejcox@... [etherbun] wrote:

Before this goes dark, I want to take the opportunity to thank the Admins of Etherbun for maintaining this site all these years, keeping us in line, and providing a wealth of information we would never be able to get anywhere else. I sincerely hope we can experience a seamless transition, as I personally would be lost without the advice and support of all the great bunparents on this site.

Thanks so much for everything, heres hoping for a smooth transition and hope to see you all on the other side!

Christine, Zyler, and angel boy Zeke

Leslie B

Amen and amen