From: main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io> on behalf of susanbsilberman via groups.io <susanbsilberman@...>
Sent: 01 June 2021 03:22
To: main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io>
Subject: [Etherbun Main] Looking for Best Carpet for our REX Bun

Hi, I'm brand new to the group as I just adopted 3 YO Piper 7 weeks ago. Unfortunately since we've already experienced sore hocks :-( I'm very aware of how important the correct flooring is for my Rex. I'd like to put down carpet in a bedroom in a summer cottage that Piper would be freely roaming around in, and I hope someone can chime in with the best type of carpet to buy. Thanks in advance! Susan

John Gee

Hi,

I'm glad you adopted and posted here. You could use a piece of  linoleum and fleece pads. The pads could be placed over parts of the linoleum .You may want to limit the space setup for Piper. Rabbits enjoy marking their turf with poops and chin marks You can setup rabbit space in a small part in the corner of the room.. A room allows for many hiding spots and needs to be rabbit proofed . Exposed wires need to be covered, hiding spots under furniture need to be blocked , and a rabbit should have a "home " setup . I would setup an X-pen on the linoleum & pad space with a cardboard box to hide in, a litter box, pellet bowl ,and plastic or wood chew toys.

The linoleum should be easy to clean. The fleece pads can be washed . A piece of carpet or a towel are items rabbit chewing. Both are stringy when chewed and could become stuck in Piper's GI tract. Enjoy Piper and watch for binkies. A binky is when a house  rabbit jumps  a few inches of the floor showing happiness.

On Monday, May 31, 2021, 11:53:25 PM CDT, <susanbsilberman@...> wrote:

Hi, I'm brand new to the group as I just adopted 3 YO Piper 7 weeks ago. Unfortunately since we've already experienced sore hocks :-( I'm very aware of how important the correct flooring is for my Rex. I'd like to put down carpet in a bedroom in a summer cottage that Piper would be freely roaming around in, and I hope someone can chime in with the best type of carpet to buy. Thanks in advance! Susan

o o

Woven mats would go with a beach house vibe and can be found relatively cheaply in a variety of bun munching safe materials. Plus some are washable.

On Jun 1, 2021, at 5:46 PM, John Gee via groups.io <johngee100@...> wrote:

[...]

Marina Drake

Both our bunnies have sore hocks. We have soft fleece blankets and fake sheepskin down over a thick area rug/carpet. Is that going to work or do we need to take the rug away so that there's hard flooring under the blankets?
Thanks,
Marina, Charm and Peridot

mark

I would say no.
Buns are not adapted to sit on hard surfaces - it puts pressure on the hocks because of the way they sit.
The surface should have a little "give" to it.
Similar to the grassy or leafy turf their wild cousins sit on.

When our Rex bun had sore hocks we used a close-cell foam camping pad (like a thin mattress, about 3/4" thick) with fleece blanket over it in their cage.
(The closed cell part was important so that if someone piddled, the foam wouldn't soak it up like a sponge.)

You can get them at places like Dick's Sporting Goods for about $25.
They are only about 6 ft long (human body length), so that may not be practical cost-wise for longer runs.
You may also be able to get foam cheaper from a local place like rug supply, but I have no idea who that would be.

-mark

On 6/24/2021 6:59 PM, Marina Drake wrote:
Both our bunnies have sore hocks. We have soft fleece blankets and fake sheepskin down over a thick area rug/carpet. Is that going to work or do we need to take the rug away so that there's hard flooring under the blankets?
Thanks,
Marina, Charm and Peridot

motek_and_gozal

I recommend putting socks on their feet. They have really helped my angel rabbit, Parpar. You can order them, made to measure, from Esther at medirabbit.

Tal
🐇🐇

Christine J. Cox

I also have a beloved Rex who has had sore hocks for years.  We've tried a number of things - daily collasate, wraps, and even the socks from Esther.  I have wall-to-wall carpeting and tile, and though he has a soft floor in his "space", he has the run of the house, and I can't change the house.  For the record, the socks did not work for us:  from the moment I put them on, Zyler worked on them for five hours steady until he got them off.  They were soaked with saliva when I picked them up off the floor.  He softened them enough to slip out.  If you have a stubborn bun like mine, he may be too obsessed with removing them to actually do any healing.  I had high hopes for them.  Interestingly enough, when I finally gave up on the collasate, his hocks seemed to improve.  They aren't as sore-looking now and the fur has grown back considerably, but I keep a close eye on them.

Christine, Zyler, and angel boy Zeke