Monty

bpbhoo

hi dave, i am sorry monty's procedure didn't go as smoothly as it should have but am glad the staff acted quickly to rectify things.  but it must have been so stressful. i am glad you were there with her on her journey.

with the passing of every pet comes so many emotions that can run the gamut. they can certainly be warranted. just take as much time as you need to sort through them. as for whether you should stay with your current vet, i agree with roberta, trust your gut as to what you should do.

i am glad you have lily.

pls take care, sha

David L. Fisher

Thank you to everyone who sent condolences, I genuinely appreciate it.

I sent my vet a copy of the referral letter with a comment that I would be happy if I never had to deal with steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ever again (for my bunnies OR for myself, as I am familiar with the side effects.)  This paragraph from the letter basically says the same thing as medirabbit -

"Monty was receiving prednisolone as an anti-inflammatory therapy for previously diagnosed degenerative joint disease by her family
veterinarian. With rabbits, glucocorticoid steroids are typically avoided except in extenuation circumstances (severe airway
inflammation and neoplasia) due to their significant potential to induce immunosuppression and worsen any underlying cardiac, renal,
and hepatic disease. In causes of orthopedic inflammation, it is preferred to use non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (e.g.
meloxicam or carprofen) as well as adjunctive analgesics (tramadol, gabapentin, and opioids). Concern exists that the prednisolone
prescribed to Monty could be a contributing factor in progression of heart disease and congestive heart failure."

I know the drug didn't kill Monty, but I do believe it made things worse and progress at a faster pace.  I also always wondered why we weren't using the more common approaches that everyone else seems to use, but chose to keep my trust in my vet. I expect we'll be speaking again about this, and I will drive home my point that I never want to use Prednisolone again (and it will be at least one condition if I am to continue working with him, but as I also have other concerns, I haven't yet made up my mind).

Dave

On 8/10/2021 3:05 PM, rlkessler wrote:
Dave,

I have been wondering how you were doing, and am so sorry. Letting a beloved bunny go is a terrible decision to have to make, but you thought of what was best for Monty.  I have doubts about decisions made concerning Riley's care...and there are still days where that time comes back to me after all these years.  Hindsight is 20/20..or pretty close to it.

Your doubts about staying with Monty's vet are something you need to take a bit of time to think about...listen to your gut.  It sounds as if you feel he shouldn't have prescribed steroids for Monty.

Good thing you have Lily..she can be a comfort to you.

Take care,
Roberta

rlkessler

Dave,

I have been wondering how you were doing, and am so sorry.  Letting a beloved bunny go is a terrible decision to have to make, but you thought of what was best for Monty.  I have doubts about decisions made concerning Riley's care...and there are still days where that time comes back to me after all these years.  Hindsight is 20/20..or pretty close to it.

Your doubts about staying with Monty's vet are something you need to take a bit of time to think about...listen to your gut.  It sounds as if you feel he shouldn't have prescribed steroids for Monty.

Good thing you have Lily..she can be a comfort to you.

Take care,
Roberta

Nona Cleland

My heart goes out to you. I did not read the whole Monty end-of-life saga, but I will. I do know you loved her and did the best you possibly could for her. I'm sure she felt that to the depth of her bunny soul.

I've come to believe that every bun owner regrets something when the sweetie passes. I think it's part denial: If only... then sweetie could still be here.

Care for yourself well. It's a hard time when a dear bun passes. I'm glad you have Lily, and she's lucky to have you, too.

Nona

On August 9, 2021, at 7:27 PM, "David L. Fisher" <dlf@...> wrote:

>Hi All -
>So, the "too long; didn't read" part is - I think my vet missed Monty's
>arthritis on x-rays taken back in May, and when he did see it in the
>x-rays take in July, he prescribed Prednisolone for the pain.  He thinks
>it's the "best in the world" but medirabbit and the referral letter from
>the vet where I took Monty for a second opinion (and ultimately this led
>to euthanasia) says it should not be used in rabbits except for specific
>extenuating circumstances. I'm struggling with whether or not to
>continue working with this vet - I truly believe he cares (and he has
>rabbits himself) but I question some of his methods/treatments, and
>while the Prednisolone wouldn't cause heart failure, it would aggravate
>such a condition.
>Monty had a rough time in his last moments of life - the other vet
>(MedVet) had a catheter in his front paw and a long line leading down
>his body, so the first anesthetic given (which would make her slowly
>fall asleep) created enough pressure in the tube to make the catheter
>come out.  They whisked her away from the exam room in the middle of
>this process and I waited for about 10 minutes, thinking the whole time
>"this is taking too long" - they had to give her another needle, this
>time in her leg, to continue the process.  Monty looked quite tired by
>the time they got her back into the exam room.
>Once she got the second shot, which should take her under quickly, she
>went peacefully.  But - I can't get the look in her eyes (before we gave
>her that shot) out of my head.  I know how hard it is to make that final
>decision on behalf of a critter that's suffering, I just wish everything
>had gone smoother than it did.
>X-ray can be viewed here, and the last one (that begins with
>"Fisher^Monty", taken at the ER) really shows how far downhill she went
>through the month of July:
>http://3bunnies.net/etherbun/Monty/
>Lily is doing okay, tho she was wondering where Monty went, or perhaps
>when she'll be back...  they weren't bonded, but they had just returned
>from boarding at the rescue side-by-side and tolerating each other as
>neighbors better than they were doing at my house.  Same lifeboat, no
>Dave - that made them stick together a little better.  I'm glad she's
>here, or this place would feel stiflingly empty right now.
>Dave

David L. Fisher