Bonding and spaying

Leslie B

Thanks for the discussion on litter boxes for Flemish Giants. It was interesting.  I have 3 neutered males and this new almost 4 month old girl. Should I wait until after she is spayed to try bonding? Also, one person said to wait 18 months to spay. Someone else said spay now. I would appreciate more guidelines. My boys are definitely marking their territory.
Thanks so much.
Leslie, Floppy, Fleas, Frith, and Fern

David L. Fisher

Hi Leslie -

I would definitely wait about a month AFTER spaying her before introductions - her hormones will affect her behavior and possibly mess up a potential bond.  She would probably also mark the males' territory (Tidbit, a direct rescue, was adamant about pooping in Monty's area in a 2-inch grid, even a month after her spay when I tried introductions) and Leeloo (a temporary foster, very recently spayed when I gave her a "soft landing") was adamant about peeing on the carpet near Monty's area.

I'm not surprised that your boys are marking - they can smell her hormones, and it's instinct even if they can't do anything about it.  This might also make them aggressive towards her if you don't wait for her hormones to subside.

I don't know who thinks 18 MONTHS is the right amount of time to wait - are you sure they weren't suggesting 18 weeks (which also sounds like more time than you need to allow).  I agree with the person who says "spay now" (and you have to get blood test results first to make sure she can have surgery first anyway).

Hope this helps, and welcome to the newcomer.  :)

Dave

On 5/27/2021 7:19 PM, Leslie B via groups.io wrote:
Thanks for the discussion on litter boxes for Flemish Giants. It was interesting.  I have 3 neutered males and this new almost 4 month old girl. Should I wait until after she is spayed to try bonding? Also, one person said to wait 18 months to spay. Someone else said spay now. I would appreciate more guidelines. My boys are definitely marking their territory.
Thanks so much.
Leslie, Floppy, Fleas, Frith, and Fern

Meg Brown

Hi Leslie,
      I was the person who recommended waiting a minimum of a year before spaying a Flemish, as they mature more slowly than smaller breeds.

I would definitely not recommend spaying a Flemish (or any rabbit), at 18 weeks.

    I agree with Dave about waiting approximately a month post-spay before introducing to your males.
     Meg