From: Shrikant Kukreti <sevensclub.kukreti@...>
To: main@etherbun.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Aug 5, 2021 1:16 pm
Subject: [Etherbun Main] Bunny not eating food

Hello team,

I have a 2-year-old boy(Pikachu), he is an angora breed. For the past 3 days, he is not eating anything. He is just sitting in one place and not even moving continuously as he is a very cheerful and playful bunny. I visited a nearby Vet to get her consultation, he suggested few medicines and injected him with  RL/ENRO/MELPERINORM/RANTAC/ELDERVIT and told us to force-feed him and try to orally feed him with Enterogermina. It's been 3 days now, we are daily going to the vet and nothing has changed even a bit. We got his x-ray and Stool routine test done. and right now he is just surviving on drip and 4ml vegetable juice that we have to force-feed him.

I am really worried about him, as I have never seen him like this and we are also unable to understand what can be the issue here. One more thing he becomes a little active after the drip only.

I am attaching his X-ray and Stool routine test, if anyone can suggest/advise or help it will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

--
Shrikant Kukreti

Emprins

Hey Shrikant!

I’m so sorry to hear about your bunny! From what you’ve mentioned, it sounds like your bunny is experiencing GI stasis which is a serious issue!!! Do you have bunny-specific vet? This is a very common issue - my bunny Eleanor had it last year -and also a very deadly one. Your bunny should have received IV fluids and maybe a motility drug, depending on the X-ray. I don’t have the knowledge to evaluate the X-ray but it will usually indicate if there is a blockage causing the stasis. If there is, your bunny needs surgery and shouldn’t take a motility drug but  a blockage is a lot less common than general stasis.

Your bunny really needs to be carefully monitored as this is a very very serious situation. I agree with your vet that you should be force feeding critical care. If you have any issues with that - my bunny was a handful - please let me know and I can send resources. Hydration is key so make sure what your giving also has lots of water.

As to the behaviors you mentioned, your bunny is in a lot of pain. When bunnies are in pain they don’t eat and they usually are in a crouched position barely moving. Your bunny needs to be given pain medication!!! Meloxidyl or meloxicam is usually what’s given.

I’m happy to send along other resources on GI stasis but realized I should get this email out because this is an emergency situation and your bunny should be closely monitored and receiving a lot of care.

I hope your bunny feels better soon!

Emma

On Aug 5, 2021, 1:28 PM -0400, Emprins via groups.io <emprins@...>, wrote:
[...]

mary

Shrikant, have you given your bunny a lot of gas medicine like the liquid baby formula? It may be gas and the gas med which you can give lots and a painkiller -if you can get Meloxyn/Metacam - could make bunny better. Keep feeding Critical Care.

Cyndi Comfort

Hi Shrikant,

I'm so sorry to hear about your bunny. Two days is an extremely long time for a bunny to not eat. Unless your vet is VERY experienced with GI stasis, I would try to find an emergency clinic that is familiar.  I say this from past experience that once a bunny starts to not eat and it goes for a while, they are in very critical condition and it gets harder and harder to get food into them.

And with no food, the GI system doesn't move, which makes the situation worse.

And while Metacam/Meloxicam is helpful in mild to moderate cases, in extreme cases of pain, it is not very effective.

Your bunny likely needs stronger pain meds and a pro-kinetic that acts on the GI system like Cisapride or Metacolpramide to assist in getting things moving again.

Please find experienced Veterinary help for your bunny quickly.  He may also be very dehydrated (needing Subcutaneous fluids). He really needs quick and acute care if he is going to pull out of this.

I wish you the best of luck!
Cyndi

On Thursday, August 5, 2021, 10:16:43 AM PDT, Shrikant Kukreti <sevensclub.kukreti@...> wrote:

[...]

Denise Fischer

I was wondering if the vet checked his teeth? One of my buns had spurs that stopped him from eating. I felt so bad for him when I found out but it was resolved, thankfully. Or if there’s an overgrowth into the gums it will also be painful.
Denise

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 4:47 PM Cyndi Comfort via groups.io <cyndi_comfort=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Anneka Herre

Hi Shrikant,

Where are you located?

You mentioned force feeding 4mL of vegetable juice. That is not enough and is not the right thing to feed.

Another poster mentioned feeding "Critical Care." Oxbow Critical Care is the name brand for a powdered nutritional product for herbivores to which you add water for syringe feedings. You may be able to get it through your vet.

If you don't have access to Critical Care, you use the hay-based pellets you normally feed and grind them to a fine powder using a blender or a mortar and pestle and add water until the mixture is thin enough to be pulled into an oral syringe.

Canned pumpkin can be added.

Depending on the size of the rabbit, you should aim to get 10-20mL into them 2-3 times a day.

You mentioned he does better after the drip -- subcutaneous fluids are very important. You can do these at home with instruction from your vet if they provide the supplies to you.

Good luck and really hope he starts to turn a corner soon.

Anneka

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 1:33 PM Emprins <emprins@...> wrote:

Emma
On Aug 5, 2021, 1:28 PM -0400, Emprins via groups.io <emprins=gmail.com@groups.io>, wrote:
[...]

You mentioned force feeding 4mL of vegetable juice. That is not enough and is not the right thing to feed in a case of GI stasis, which is what the situation sounds like.

Another poster mentioned feeding "Critical Care." Oxbow Critical Care is the name brand for a powdered nutritional product for herbivores to which you add water for syringe feedings. You may be able to get it through your vet.

If you don't have access to Critical Care, you can use the hay-based pellets you normally feed and grind them to a fine powder using a blender or a mortar and pestle and add water until the mixture is thin enough to be pulled into an oral syringe.

Depending on the size of the rabbit, you should aim to get 10-20mL into them 2-3 times a day.

You mentioned he seems a little better after the drip -- subcutaneous fluids can be very helpful. You can do these at home with instruction from your vet if they provide the supplies to you.