Topics

Covid

Leslie B

Does anyone know if rabbits can contract Covid 19? I know dogs and cats can, with cats being more susceptible, according to one doctor.

Cyndi Comfort

Its my understanding from someone in the vet world that it very unlikely for rabbits to get Covid. At least as far as they've seen this far.

That being said, never discount the ability of a virus to mutate. I sure hope this one doesn't start crossing over into other species (more than it has). 

If someone else has heard different,  I'd appreciate knowing.

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 9:32 PM, Leslie B via groups.io
<lesliebrassell@...> wrote:
Does  anyone know if rabbits can contract Covid 19? I know dogs and cats can, with cats being more susceptible, according to one doctor.

James Wilson

While animals are most susceptible to an alpha corona virus and COVID-19 is a beta corona virus,
It appears any mammal can become ill if exposed to a high enough dose of COVID-19 or exposed for a long duration.
Dogs, cats, minks, and ferrets are the most common animals mentioned.

For the safety of the rabbit, they should not be in the same room as someone who is recovering from COVID-19.

There is no clear answer how many hours animal fur can act as a fomite for transmission of COVID-19,
but I would not let someone pet my rabbit, just to be safe.

The SARS-CoV-2 virus is less likely to mutate compared to other viruses like influenza.

These links may give more information:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.21.20109041v1.full.pdf
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/animals.html

Sincerely,
James

Leslie B

Thanks, Cyndi. I hope your vet world person is correct!

Leslie B

Thanks, James. I felt like I was back in graduate school analyzing a research paper.😂 I wish they had included bunnies in that study.😉 I hope I haven’t shared this with my boys. I live alone so I can’t avoid them completely. I haven’t noticed them exhibiting any symptoms. It would be interesting to get them tested.

أحمد الدوس

‫في 26‏/09‏/2020 الساعة 9:35 م، كتب/كتبت ‏Leslie B via groups.io ‏<lesliebrassell@...>:‬

Thanks, James. I felt like I was back in graduate school analyzing a research paper.😂 I wish they had included bunnies in that study.😉 I hope I haven’t shared this with my boys. I live alone so I can’t avoid them completely. I haven’t noticed them exhibiting any symptoms. It would be interesting to get them tested.

pack_lisa

I lost my bunny back in February. He went into stasis and was recovering under vet care, when all of a sudden I walked into the room and he was pawing at the floor and gasping for air. Within minutes he passed in my arms. Within 2 days, I noticed my other 2 bunnies had runny eyes and noses. (My family had just been sick with a fever 2 weeks before Pippin passed). We have been battling what my vet called an upper respiratory infection for 7 months now that we can't get rid of. I can't say for certain that it was Corona that killed my boy, but I do wonder...

Lisa

From: main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io> on behalf of أحمد الدوس <doss2003@...>
Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2020 2:44 PM
To: main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io>; lesliebrassell@... <lesliebrassell@...>
Subject: Re: [Etherbun Main] Covid

‫في 26‏/09‏/2020 الساعة 9:35 م، كتب/كتبت ‏Leslie B via groups.io ‏<lesliebrassell@...>:‬

Heather Bechtel

What vet

From: main@etherbun.groups.io [mailto:main@etherbun.groups.io] On Behalf Of pack_lisa
Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2020 6:29 PM
To: main@etherbun.groups.io; lesliebrassell@...; doss2003@...

I lost my bunny back in February. He went into stasis and was recovering under vet care, when all of a sudden I walked into the room and he was pawing at the floor and gasping for air. Within minutes he passed in my arms. Within 2 days, I noticed my other 2 bunnies had runny eyes and noses. (My family had just been sick with a fever 2 weeks before Pippin passed). We have been battling what my vet called an upper respiratory infection for 7 months now that we can't get rid of. I can't say for certain that it was Corona that killed my boy, but I do wonder...

Lisa

From: main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io> on behalf of أحمد الدوس <doss2003@...>
To: main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io>; lesliebrassell@... <lesliebrassell@...>

‫في 26‏/09‏/2020 الساعة 9:35 م، كتب/كتبت ‏Leslie B via groups.io ‏<lesliebrassell@...>:

Virus-free. www.avg.com

David L. Fisher

I have to ask - what is the point of asking what vet it is??  Is this so everyone can criticize one person (not that I've had that happen to me)?

If anyone in this group were to ask me that question, I would simply answer with "my vet, that's what vet"

Someone please tell me how knowing the name of the vet will help this issue in ANY way...

On 9/26/2020 9:34 PM, Heather Bechtel wrote:

What vet

From: main@etherbun.groups.io [mailto:main@etherbun.groups.io] On Behalf Of pack_lisa

Lisa

‫في 26‏/09‏/2020 الساعة 9:35 م، كتب/كتبت ‏Leslie B via groups.io ‏<lesliebrassell@...>:

Virus-free. www.avg.com

pack_lisa

It really is irrelevant. My vet did not tell me she thinks my boy had Covid. I can't say for certain that he did, either. But the circumstances were unusual. He went from being healthy to being gone in a few days. 

From: main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io> on behalf of David L. Fisher <dlf@...>
Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2020 9:37 PM
To: main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io>; ava_haven@... <ava_haven@...>

I have to ask - what is the point of asking what vet it is??  Is this so everyone can criticize one person (not that I've had that happen to me)?

If anyone in this group were to ask me that question, I would simply answer with "my vet, that's what vet"

Someone please tell me how knowing the name of the vet will help this issue in ANY way...

What vet

Lisa

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Chris Norlund

Hi Lisa, and all,
Hoping not to beleagur the circumstances of your rabbit's unfortunate death, but  i hope i  may offer some clarification of the process.
In my recent years as a nurse I wound-down my career doing private duty and often the honor of final hospice care.  In my years of rabbit rescue I have also had the bittersweet experience of being with many dying rabbits. 
Depending the cause of death often affects how it progresses, and it's speed.  So some deaths are by nature more peaceful than others, which can be more dramatic. From what you described, I would say that your rabbit's death process was more in line with a rabbit in unresolved stasis, than an illness. Rabbits-- in stasis don't have a peaceful death. 
 It could have also had a sudden underlying cause as well-- such as a heart attack or-- similar with that kind of finality. 
When this happens we generally don't have time to successfully intervene or be able to euthanize more gently. I think I can also say from experience that the guilt we lay on ourselves for not  being able to help them have a more peaceful passing often haunts us indefinitely. We seem to do this to ourselves repeatedly. It seems to come with the territory of being a devoted rabbit- owner. 

I'm really doubtful that it was a viral nature though, especially a respiratory one. Most respiratory diseases in rabbits- are bacterial. And it's easy for bacterial ones to cause runny eyes and noses ....if they pass it among their partners. Rabbits can get a number of bacterial infections from humans though. 

Sadly, we are not always able to save them or intervene in time. It is out of our control, yet we agonize over it.

I hope this helps you come to terms with your loss.  
My sincere empathy,
Chris

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020, 6:43 PM pack_lisa <lisajpack@...> wrote:
It really is irrelevant. My vet did not tell me she thinks my boy had Covid. I can't say for certain that he did, either. But the circumstances were unusual. He went from being healthy to being gone in a few days. 

From: main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io> on behalf of David L. Fisher <dlf@...>
Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2020 9:37 PM
To: main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io>; ava_haven@... <ava_haven@...>

What vet

Lisa

‫في 26‏/09‏/2020 الساعة 9:35 م، كتب/كتبت ‏Leslie B via groups.io<lesliebrassell@...>:

Virus-free. www.avg.com