Topics

Covid

Leslie B

Does anyone know if rabbits can contract Covid 19? I know dogs and cats can, with cats being more susceptible, according to one doctor.

Cyndi Comfort

Its my understanding from someone in the vet world that it very unlikely for rabbits to get Covid. At least as far as they've seen this far.

That being said, never discount the ability of a virus to mutate. I sure hope this one doesn't start crossing over into other species (more than it has).

If someone else has heard different,  I'd appreciate knowing.

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 9:32 PM, Leslie B via groups.io
<lesliebrassell@...> wrote:
Does  anyone know if rabbits can contract Covid 19? I know dogs and cats can, with cats being more susceptible, according to one doctor.

James Wilson

While animals are most susceptible to an alpha corona virus and COVID-19 is a beta corona virus,
It appears any mammal can become ill if exposed to a high enough dose of COVID-19 or exposed for a long duration.
Dogs, cats, minks, and ferrets are the most common animals mentioned.

For the safety of the rabbit, they should not be in the same room as someone who is recovering from COVID-19.

There is no clear answer how many hours animal fur can act as a fomite for transmission of COVID-19,
but I would not let someone pet my rabbit, just to be safe.

The SARS-CoV-2 virus is less likely to mutate compared to other viruses like influenza.

These links may give more information:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.21.20109041v1.full.pdf
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/animals.html

Sincerely,
James

Leslie B

Thanks, Cyndi. I hope your vet world person is correct!

Leslie B

Thanks, James. I felt like I was back in graduate school analyzing a research paper.😂 I wish they had included bunnies in that study.😉 I hope I haven’t shared this with my boys. I live alone so I can’t avoid them completely. I haven’t noticed them exhibiting any symptoms. It would be interesting to get them tested.

أحمد الدوس

‫في 26‏/09‏/2020 الساعة 9:35 م، كتب/كتبت ‏Leslie B via groups.io ‏<lesliebrassell@...>:‬

Thanks, James. I felt like I was back in graduate school analyzing a research paper.😂 I wish they had included bunnies in that study.😉 I hope I haven’t shared this with my boys. I live alone so I can’t avoid them completely. I haven’t noticed them exhibiting any symptoms. It would be interesting to get them tested.

pack_lisa

I lost my bunny back in February. He went into stasis and was recovering under vet care, when all of a sudden I walked into the room and he was pawing at the floor and gasping for air. Within minutes he passed in my arms. Within 2 days, I noticed my other 2 bunnies had runny eyes and noses. (My family had just been sick with a fever 2 weeks before Pippin passed). We have been battling what my vet called an upper respiratory infection for 7 months now that we can't get rid of. I can't say for certain that it was Corona that killed my boy, but I do wonder...

Lisa

Thanks, James. I felt like I was back in graduate school analyzing a research paper.😂 I wish they had included bunnies in that study.😉 I hope I haven’t shared this with my boys. I live alone so I can’t avoid them completely. I haven’t noticed them exhibiting any symptoms. It would be interesting to get them tested.

Heather Bechtel

What vet