Topics

Decreased appetite and lethargy on antibiotics?

pack_lisa

I started my 2 bunnies on Enrofloxacin today along with probios (equine). This morning, my Holland lop took the meds eagerly. Tonight she was very lethargic (not normal!) and didn't want the medicine. And now she isn't interested in her salad. Is this normal?

She is 8 years old, weighs about 4-4.5 lbs. (sorry I can't remember the exact weight) and she's taking .9 ml twice per day along with the probiotic.

Thanks,
Lisa

BenBun'sMom

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/enrofloxacin  " The most common side effects of enrofloxacin are gastrointestinal effects such as vomiting, diarrhea, and lack of appetite"

Aside from your Q, I wonder about administering antibiotic concurrently with probiotic.  Does that make sense?  How does the antibiotic choose whether to wipe out the probiotic or whatever pathogen the vet is trying to eradicate?  Hmmmm.

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 9:12 PM pack_lisa <lisajpack@...> wrote:
I started my 2 bunnies on Enrofloxacin today along with probios (equine). This morning, my Holland lop took the meds eagerly. Tonight she was very lethargic (not normal!) and didn't want the medicine. And now she isn't interested in her salad. Is this normal?

She is 8 years old, weighs about 4-4.5 lbs. (sorry I can't remember the exact weight) and she's taking .9 ml twice per day along with the probiotic.

Thanks,
Lisa

Nancy Ainsworth

Hi Lisa,
What were the antibiotics prescribed for?
Nancy

I started my 2 bunnies on Enrofloxacin today along with probios (equine). This morning, my Holland lop took the meds eagerly. Tonight she was very lethargic (not normal!) and didn't want the medicine. And now she isn't interested in her salad. Is this normal?

She is 8 years old, weighs about 4-4.5 lbs. (sorry I can't remember the exact weight) and she's taking .9 ml twice per day along with the probiotic.

Thanks,
Lisa

pack_lisa

My rabbits have been sick for months. I took them to a new vet and she thinks it's Pasteurella.

What were the antibiotics prescribed for?
Nancy

I started my 2 bunnies on Enrofloxacin today along with probios (equine). This morning, my Holland lop took the meds eagerly. Tonight she was very lethargic (not normal!) and didn't want the medicine. And now she isn't interested in her salad. Is this normal?

She is 8 years old, weighs about 4-4.5 lbs. (sorry I can't remember the exact weight) and she's taking .9 ml twice per day along with the probiotic.

Thanks,
Lisa

Nancy Ainsworth

Enrofloxacin (Baytril) in my experience is usually well received. I would give your Holland Lop additional supportive care as needed over the next few days - fluids, syringe feeding - as approved by your vet - and then see how she is once the Baytril has had a chance to work. It could be she has gotten sicker with her illness. I would watch her very closely.
Nancy

My rabbits have been sick for months. I took them to a new vet and she thinks it's Pasteurella.

What were the antibiotics prescribed for?
Nancy

I started my 2 bunnies on Enrofloxacin today along with probios (equine). This morning, my Holland lop took the meds eagerly. Tonight she was very lethargic (not normal!) and didn't want the medicine. And now she isn't interested in her salad. Is this normal?

She is 8 years old, weighs about 4-4.5 lbs. (sorry I can't remember the exact weight) and she's taking .9 ml twice per day along with the probiotic.

Thanks,
Lisa

bpbhoo

maybe the bacteria dying due to the antibiotics is causing the upset? i hope she will improve soon. i agree, watch her closely. sha