[EXTERNAL] [Etherbun Main] Gassy bunny


hunhare
 

Always have pediatric simethicone suspension on hand for gas problems.  A couple of mL can avert a true emergency, as gas is very painful.  Simethicone is a surfactant that helps frothy gas consolidate into larger bubbles that the GI tract can more easily push through to the end. 

Gentle tummy massage, preferably with an electric vibrating massager, can also help break up gas bubbles and relieve painful intestinal cramps.

Dana

Dana Krempels, PhD

Senior Lecturer

Department of Biology

University of Miami




From: main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io> on behalf of Colette Patterson via groups.io <collylovescakes@...>
Sent: Thursday, August 5, 2021 2:12 PM
To: main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [Etherbun Main] Gassy bunny
 
CAUTION: This email originated from outside the organization. DO NOT CLICK ON LINKS or OPEN ATTACHMENTS unless you know and trust the sender.


Hi all,

I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice please?.. I have a 7 year old bunny with a very noisy gurgly tummy this evening (why do these things always happen in the evening)…I’ve dealt with GI Statis before both of my boys have had it and thankfully got through it….but it’s been a couple of years and tonight Obi’s tummy is very noisy and he doesn’t want his pellets (very very unusual for him as he lives for treats/food) …he has had some wet coriander …but I think he looks uncomfortable! I’m very worried! It might be the emergency vets ….any advice would be appreciated…
Thank you so much, Colette








Meg Brown
 

I agree with Dana
     Just had a friend drive several hours to Cornell and spend hundreds 

It was a gas issue that could have been averted with simethicone 
      I keep several bottles on hand


On Aug 5, 2021, at 8:06 PM, hunhare <dana@...> wrote:


Always have pediatric simethicone suspension on hand for gas problems.  A couple of mL can avert a true emergency, as gas is very painful.  Simethicone is a surfactant that helps frothy gas consolidate into larger bubbles that the GI tract can more easily push through to the end. 

Gentle tummy massage, preferably with an electric vibrating massager, can also help break up gas bubbles and relieve painful intestinal cramps.

Dana

Dana Krempels, PhD

Senior Lecturer

Department of Biology

University of Miami




From: main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io> on behalf of Colette Patterson via groups.io <collylovescakes@...>
Sent: Thursday, August 5, 2021 2:12 PM
To: main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [Etherbun Main] Gassy bunny
 
CAUTION: This email originated from outside the organization. DO NOT CLICK ON LINKS or OPEN ATTACHMENTS unless you know and trust the sender.


Hi all,

I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice please?.. I have a 7 year old bunny with a very noisy gurgly tummy this evening (why do these things always happen in the evening)…I’ve dealt with GI Statis before both of my boys have had it and thankfully got through it….but it’s been a couple of years and tonight Obi’s tummy is very noisy and he doesn’t want his pellets (very very unusual for him as he lives for treats/food) …he has had some wet coriander …but I think he looks uncomfortable! I’m very worried! It might be the emergency vets ….any advice would be appreciated…
Thank you so much, Colette








Colette Patterson
 

Hi all, 
Thank you so much!!!
I’m in the UK so had no idea what that was….it’s coming up as a medicine for children!?!
Many thanks 😊 


On 6 Aug 2021, at 01:11, Meg Brown <bustercharlie@...> wrote:


I agree with Dana
     Just had a friend drive several hours to Cornell and spend hundreds 

It was a gas issue that could have been averted with simethicone 
      I keep several bottles on hand


On Aug 5, 2021, at 8:06 PM, hunhare <dana@...> wrote:


Always have pediatric simethicone suspension on hand for gas problems.  A couple of mL can avert a true emergency, as gas is very painful.  Simethicone is a surfactant that helps frothy gas consolidate into larger bubbles that the GI tract can more easily push through to the end. 

Gentle tummy massage, preferably with an electric vibrating massager, can also help break up gas bubbles and relieve painful intestinal cramps.

Dana

Dana Krempels, PhD

Senior Lecturer

Department of Biology

University of Miami




From: main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io> on behalf of Colette Patterson via groups.io <collylovescakes@...>
Sent: Thursday, August 5, 2021 2:12 PM
To: main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [Etherbun Main] Gassy bunny
 
CAUTION: This email originated from outside the organization. DO NOT CLICK ON LINKS or OPEN ATTACHMENTS unless you know and trust the sender.


Hi all,

I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice please?.. I have a 7 year old bunny with a very noisy gurgly tummy this evening (why do these things always happen in the evening)…I’ve dealt with GI Statis before both of my boys have had it and thankfully got through it….but it’s been a couple of years and tonight Obi’s tummy is very noisy and he doesn’t want his pellets (very very unusual for him as he lives for treats/food) …he has had some wet coriander …but I think he looks uncomfortable! I’m very worried! It might be the emergency vets ….any advice would be appreciated…
Thank you so much, Colette








Ulrike
 

Yes, get Infacol from the pharmacy. Don't tell them it's for a rabbit as they won't sell it to you then. I always have Infacol on hand. The vets would probably give Metacam and Metoclopramide, too. Have you been to the vets? 

Ulrike


On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 at 14:51, Colette Patterson via groups.io <collylovescakes=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all, 
Thank you so much!!!
I’m in the UK so had no idea what that was….it’s coming up as a medicine for children!?!
Many thanks 😊 


Colette Patterson
 

Oh that’s great, thank you … I’ll get some today. 
I spoke to the vets this morning and they have given me some fibreplex. 
Obi is eating a little bit of hay and wet fresh herbs but he’s not interested in his pellets or treats..his tummy is a lot less noisy today but he’s defo not himself… I’m home with him keeping a close eye on him. 
Thank you 😊 


On 6 Aug 2021, at 14:58, Ulrike <ferretlove.uk@...> wrote:


Yes, get Infacol from the pharmacy. Don't tell them it's for a rabbit as they won't sell it to you then. I always have Infacol on hand. The vets would probably give Metacam and Metoclopramide, too. Have you been to the vets? 

Ulrike


On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 at 14:51, Colette Patterson via groups.io <collylovescakes=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all, 
Thank you so much!!!
I’m in the UK so had no idea what that was….it’s coming up as a medicine for children!?!
Many thanks 😊 


David L. Fisher
 

This confuses me, as Infacol is an anti-flatulent, which would seem to prevent a bunny from being able to pass gas.  The whole reason for using simethicone (eg. Gas-X) is to make the gas coalesce into a larger bubble that is easier to pass.  Wouldn't the Infacol interfere with that?

I hope your bunny feels better soon - I think everyone already suggested the typical approach (gas drops and tummy massage) as the first step, and hopefully that will take care of the need to bring your bunny to the vet.  If you can't find a good suspension, get the chewables, crush them (I do this between two spoons, same as my mom did when I was very small and didn't have a good technique for swallowing a pill) - then you can either add some water to syringe-feed it, or mix with banana for a yummy treat (assuming your bunny will want the treat).

Dave



On 8/6/2021 9:58 AM, Ulrike wrote:
Yes, get Infacol from the pharmacy. Don't tell them it's for a rabbit as they won't sell it to you then. I always have Infacol on hand. The vets would probably give Metacam and Metoclopramide, too. Have you been to the vets? 

Ulrike


On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 at 14:51, Colette Patterson via groups.io <collylovescakes=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all, 
Thank you so much!!!
I’m in the UK so had no idea what that was….it’s coming up as a medicine for children!?!
Many thanks 😊 


Chris Norlund
 

Infacol and Baby Gas Drops are both antiflatulents, and simethicone. 
They are the same thing, just different brand names.

For that helps..
Chris

On Fri, Aug 6, 2021, 3:02 PM David L. Fisher <dlf@...> wrote:

This confuses me, as Infacol is an anti-flatulent, which would seem to prevent a bunny from being able to pass gas.  The whole reason for using simethicone (eg. Gas-X) is to make the gas coalesce into a larger bubble that is easier to pass.  Wouldn't the Infacol interfere with that?

I hope your bunny feels better soon - I think everyone already suggested the typical approach (gas drops and tummy massage) as the first step, and hopefully that will take care of the need to bring your bunny to the vet.  If you can't find a good suspension, get the chewables, crush them (I do this between two spoons, same as my mom did when I was very small and didn't have a good technique for swallowing a pill) - then you can either add some water to syringe-feed it, or mix with banana for a yummy treat (assuming your bunny will want the treat).

Dave



On 8/6/2021 9:58 AM, Ulrike wrote:
Yes, get Infacol from the pharmacy. Don't tell them it's for a rabbit as they won't sell it to you then. I always have Infacol on hand. The vets would probably give Metacam and Metoclopramide, too. Have you been to the vets? 

Ulrike


On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 at 14:51, Colette Patterson via groups.io <collylovescakes=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all, 
Thank you so much!!!
I’m in the UK so had no idea what that was….it’s coming up as a medicine for children!?!
Many thanks 😊 


David L. Fisher
 

Hmm, I stand corrected.  I guess I should have checked the ingredients first.  I never thought simethicone was an antiflatulant, and have always used it with tummy massage, following the mantra "a farting bunny is a happy bunny" (which I think is a quote from an HRS article, perhaps even credited to Dana K.)

Thanks for pointing that out.  :)

Dave


On 8/6/2021 6:09 PM, Chris Norlund wrote:
Infacol and Baby Gas Drops are both antiflatulents, and simethicone. 
They are the same thing, just different brand names.

For that helps..
Chris

On Fri, Aug 6, 2021, 3:02 PM David L. Fisher <dlf@...> wrote:

This confuses me, as Infacol is an anti-flatulent, which would seem to prevent a bunny from being able to pass gas.  The whole reason for using simethicone (eg. Gas-X) is to make the gas coalesce into a larger bubble that is easier to pass.  Wouldn't the Infacol interfere with that?

I hope your bunny feels better soon - I think everyone already suggested the typical approach (gas drops and tummy massage) as the first step, and hopefully that will take care of the need to bring your bunny to the vet.  If you can't find a good suspension, get the chewables, crush them (I do this between two spoons, same as my mom did when I was very small and didn't have a good technique for swallowing a pill) - then you can either add some water to syringe-feed it, or mix with banana for a yummy treat (assuming your bunny will want the treat).

Dave



On 8/6/2021 9:58 AM, Ulrike wrote:
Yes, get Infacol from the pharmacy. Don't tell them it's for a rabbit as they won't sell it to you then. I always have Infacol on hand. The vets would probably give Metacam and Metoclopramide, too. Have you been to the vets? 

Ulrike


On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 at 14:51, Colette Patterson via groups.io <collylovescakes=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all, 
Thank you so much!!!
I’m in the UK so had no idea what that was….it’s coming up as a medicine for children!?!
Many thanks 😊 


Nona Cleland
 

Simethacone (the active ingredient you are buying in all mentioned products) is available inexpensively in generic tablet form. These tabs are often mint flavored.

My buns consider these tabs a great treat--even when they have GI issues and are turning up noses at other foods. They think the cherry oned are OK, too.

Personally, I'd rather spend $4. on a bottle of tablets that my rabbits will readily chompf than $10. on a bottle of drops that I have to force on them. A pill crusher is handy if worse comes to worst.

I also like knowing that there's no such thing as a simethicone OD, in humans or rabbits. Simethicone's action is physical, not chemical.


Kinenchen
 

Simethicone works by reducing surface tension that allows bubbles to form. That means that instead of frothy foams in the digestive tract, air coalesces in one larger bubble that theoretically would be easier to pass. There isn't any data that obviates simethicone as a "cure" for gassy bunnies, but it also hasn't been shown to hurt. I give it and my bunnies don't mind, I just wouldn't recommend giving it every day since it can hinder the absorption of certain nutrients in the GI tract.

Christie Taylor