Gallstones.

Christine Macey

Does anyone have experience with these in rabbits?  Bonsai has a large gallstone and my vet Dr Kanfer has never seen one in a rabbit before.

Nancy Ainsworth

Hi Christine,
I had a 6.5 year old bunny who had a gallstone stuck in the duct. That morning there was a puddle of coffee-colored urine on the floor and she would not eat a thing. Bloodwork showed she was in liver failure, an ultrasound found the gallstone. The only option was surgical they said and Fiona was not a surgical candidate given her condition was so poor at the time this was discovered. The vet recommended pts which we did. Despite her eating up until that morning she had apparently started eating less well before then because she had lost weight that I did not notice. She was in a bonded trio and I had noticed she was quieter and staying away more from the other two during the day but she was also older and I thought the antics of the male and the younger female were just a bit much for her. She was still "herself" though, so no alarms were going off or me, even if she wasn't as spry. In retrospect the gallstones (there were others) may have been giving her discomfort (that I missed) before one got stuck - and things went quickly downhill once that happened. 
Nancy 

-----Original Message-----
To: main@etherbun.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Aug 27, 2021 11:03 am
Subject: [Etherbun Main] Gallstones.

Does anyone have experience with these in rabbits?  Bonsai has a large gallstone and my vet Dr Kanfer has never seen one in a rabbit before.  

Christine Macey

Thanks Nancy. Bonsai is a bit over 6 years, a checkered giant so 6 is pretty good. He’s got a hind end that doesn’t work and I’ve been expressing his bladder twice a day since March when he also had a raging UTI. Also has heart disease and per last X-ray some pulmonary edema so along with benazepril twice a day he now is on lasix too. B/P too low for pimobendan so obviously he’s not a surgical candidate.  I looked up ursodiol and it’s toxic to rabbits so that’s not feasible. 

However I see no abdominal discomfort or respiratory distress and he gets so excited when I come with the treat bag he almost gets himself up.  It’s just scary knowing that thing is there. 

I couldn’t put him down now because he’s such a happy alert bunny who eats and poops just fine and has no skin issues on his down side cuz of his magic vetbed. 

My friend is a vet and she said bunnies can get gallstones if they lose weight real fast so maybe that was an issue with yours. I’m sure there are many reasons for it. Bonsie is under 10 #s and used to be 14 but that atrophy didn’t happen overnight. 

I guess we take it a day at a time. I did get buprenorphine just in case that honker stone decides to hurt him. 

Chris and Bonsai