Hay from Washington

wendyandrayzer

I just ordered Farmer Dave hay and notice that it's being shipped from Washington.  Is it safe, considering that cases of RHDV2 have been identified there?

Wendy

Kinenchen

Many companies machine dry their hay these days; the dry heat would probably mean the hay is safe from RHDV2, but it wouldn't contain the vitamin D that sun cured hay does so you'd want a pellet that's fortified with vitamin D3. It's worth asking how they dry their hay either way.

Christie Taylor

On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 03:47 PM, wendyandrayzer wrote:
I just ordered Farmer Dave hay and notice that it's being shipped from Washington.  Is it safe, considering that cases of RHDV2 have been identified there?

Wendy

 On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 03:47 PM, wendyandrayzer wrote:
I just ordered Farmer Dave hay and notice that it's being shipped from Washington.  Is it safe, considering that cases of RHDV2 have been identified there?

Wendy

 I'm feeling reassured.  Here's the reply from Farmer Dave:  Not being shipped from Washington.  Shipped from North Collins, NY.  Appears the FedEx has re-used a tracking number from June 2019 by someone else.   I have alerted FedEx re this issue.   Your hay is NOT coming from the West.   Thanks, FarmerDave