help needed!

veronica torres

hi, i don't know if anyone remembers me, but i am the one who had the twelve year old dwarf rabbit who was having a bit of trouble with her litter box. she mostly goes into the litter box but still has the odd accident or so (usually two droppings outside the litter box) but i have come to the conclusion that the litter box that i am using, as great as it is, is too high up for a bunny her age. i was wondering if i could make it easier for her to get in, then she might be less prone to having an accident, associating the litter box with pain when she is too tired, for example. i have made the decision to try to put a ramp there so she can hop up easier, because the litter box is high sided, so she has to hop high to go to the bathroom each time. i would not like to sacrifice the high sides, but i would like to put a ramp there, as i think it would help with the accidents. i need some assistance on how i can make or get a ramp to place in it. i need it to stay attached to the litter box and for it not to slip. any advice on how i can get started with this project? please help!

an image of my litter box is below, and what i had in mind for a ramp is below that.

veronica torres

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 6:01 PM veronica torres via groups.io <veronicaclairetorres=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

etherbun litter box .jpg
image.png

o o

I took an old three ring binder and attached a towel for grip. Worked well except he preferred just jumping. I wonder if it’s actually easier on them to jump 2-3 inches than use a ramp?

What did help is making everything one level. I cut an opening in the litter box so it still had a couple inches to help keep things inside but I placed books under the woven rugs in his cage to match the level of the litter box opening and the opening of the cage which I couldn’t change. So it ended up being like a sunken litter box — like a sunken living room — but once the litter and hay went in it was almost the same level and worked great at keeping the mess inside.

The three ring binder was to make it easier for him to get into the cage, but like I said he preferred hopping in.

jodyc227

My guy had bad arthritis and couldn’t jump into his litter box. I ended up using a large pizza box. I eventually flattened the sides, put waterproof pads under it, newspaper on top and then hay. I would replace the newspaper and hay every day and use a new box when needed. It worked well.

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021, 10:47:24 PM EDT, o o <of321@...> wrote:

I took an old three ring binder and attached a towel for grip. Worked well except he preferred just jumping. I wonder if it’s actually easier on them to jump 2-3 inches than use a ramp?

What did help is making everything one level. I cut an opening in the litter box so it still had a couple inches to help keep things inside but I placed books under the woven rugs in his cage to match the level of the litter box opening and the opening of the cage which I couldn’t change. So it ended up being like a sunken litter box — like a sunken living room — but once the litter and hay went in it was almost the same level and worked great at keeping the mess inside.

The three ring binder was to make it easier for him to get into the cage, but like I said he preferred hopping in.

Leslie B

You may not want to get a completely new litter box, but I bought this for my bun that I thought was having jumping issues. Turns out he’s just lazy.😂