Topics

Lactaing Mom with upper respiratory

Romina

Hi Folks

***Can a lactating mom go on Antibiotics?***
Pretty sure she has upper respiratory infection.
are there ABs that are safer than others?

I just googled this and didn't see any sources i would trust.

We rescued this mom who now has 8 remaining robust babies. She is coughing repetitively when she does cough but its  just in the last 2 days.
Doesnt sound too good.
She gave birth about 12 days ago. I guess its taken a toll on her.

I have appt with vet for another bunny we rescued this week,  but wanted to double check here in any case.

Thanks so much,
Romina

Heather Bechtel

Have her cked by vet – Coughing may indicate other medical problems-heart/ etc.

she may have more than an UR TMP/SMZ is an antibiotic we use

Who is your vet.

Heather

***Can a lactating mom go on Antibiotics?***
Pretty sure she has upper respiratory infection.
are there ABs that are safer than others?

I just googled this and didn't see any sources i would trust.

We rescued this mom who now has 8 remaining robust babies. She is coughing repetitively when she does cough but its  just in the last 2 days.
Doesnt sound too good.
She gave birth about 12 days ago. I guess its taken a toll on her.

I have appt with vet for another bunny we rescued this week,  but wanted to double check here in any case.

Thanks so much,
Romina

hunhare

Check with your vet, but be sure the vet is rabbit-savvy.  Injectable Penicillin G, while safe for adults in most cases, will be passed to the babies via her mammary glands, so DO NOT use that.

Dana

Dana Krempels, PhD

Senior Lecturer

Department of Biology