From: main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io> on behalf of linedgroundsquirrels via groups.io <linedgroundsquirrels@...>
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 12:19 PM
To: Chris Norlund <norlund.chris@...>; main@etherbun.groups.io <main@etherbun.groups.io>
Subject: [Etherbun Main] Losing our companions -- update

Chris,  Dana, and all readers.  I learn so much from this group.   Kindest praises for educating and describing the medical conditions and heart-wrenching losses you are enduring this year, or have in the past.   Huge emotional support is sent your way.

After my spinal compression girl was PTS on September 26th, I've had a difficult time healing.  I hear you on the Covid-19 concerns and curbside vet appts. etc.  I've been seeking for answers as to what I can possibly learn or do better for our remaining sanctuary buns.

The DVM scripted enrofloxacin abx for a pressure sore on her paw.  My girl Tiny had never received enro' in her 12 3/4 yr. lifetime with us.  She crashed overnight. (The DVM said the next day some rabbits "don't do well" on enro'.  I should now just apply SSD cream)  Her meds of Tramadol, Gabapentin for nerve pain relief, and meloxicam, and then 2 abx doses make we wonder why she declined suddenly when a few days prior she was holding steady, eager to eat her preferred greens.  I was constantly monitoring for appetite, attitude, affection.   I requested a CBC/BMP to check kidney function for metacam dosing and her ALT value was 222.   Blood work was done the day before her PTS, after an earlier ALT value of 30 came back end of June.
She also had challenges consuming cecotropes with her splayed leg and mobility concerns.  I wonder if inability to consume cecos for several weeks' time worsened her health?   The DVM felt there was something else going on with Tiny, but was unable to put her finger on what medical condition she was battling?   Tiny was my esa, emotional suppport bun, and the special needs' buns do take a massive chunk of your heart with them.    So I send comfort words, Chris, as you describe the losses you have gone through. Helps us heal when we can talk through our grief and educate fellow bun guardians.

A butterfly catheter was inserted in her back leg after the intial drug did not stop Tiny's heart.   The CVT had inserted two catheters in each front paw.  The DVM decided to do a butterfly catheter after Tiny was still breathing.   That whole experience replays in my mind.  Is hard to erase.  Hence, if you have concerns about dehydration in your bun, please insist on a butterfly catheter right away.

Please know that I learn from all messages posted in this group.  We need support, and benefit by personal experiences described.  Gentle, healing hugs, Chris.  You generate love to many.   Please be healthy and well and heartbeats on 4 legs or less will absorb your love.

Kindness always, Julie SB

David L. Fisher

To me, the only thing more heartbreaking than losing an animal is not having any animals at all (and I spent 2 years in a living situation where I couldn't have pets, and it was the worst 2 years of my adult life).  I've seen people who truly fight on the front lines just get to a point where they can't take any more, and they leave the rescue community because of the toll it takes on one's heart.

I know I don't have the emotional strength that most true rescuers have - they are the ones who will always be on scene, and if need be, take an animal that hasn't had a good life and unfortunately the only gift they can offer is to put them to sleep.  I admire such people, and I try my best to support them from "behind the scenes" since I know how crushing it is to make that decision between ultimate misery or death for a life that can't be saved.  This led me to coin the phrase "there is no greater joy than ending a life of suffering, without ending a life".  I put that in the public domain so people would stop asking if they could quote me and so they could simply speak it, live it, share it, and help others.

I think in the long run, those who finally walk off the "battlefield" simply preserve the emptiness left in their hearts, not the love that was there.  Children are supposed to outlive their parents, but those with animals are supposed to outlive those animals - and it is heartbreaking.  For all the pain I've incurred from saying goodbye to my little ones, the only thing more painful was being without them entirely.

Dave (and Monty, and Drillbit, and all those I've saved from a distance, as well as all those I've already lost)

I cannot imagine a life without being immersed in those lives.

"There is no greater joy than ending a life of suffering, Without ending a life."

On 10/20/2020 10:00 PM, pack_lisa wrote:
I just wanted to acknowledge all of the wonderful people here in this group that have loved and lost bunnies. I appreciate you all for your loving kindness to these amazing animals! Thank you all for your support when I lost my very first bunny, Pippin, 8 months ago. I have never grieved the loss of a pet or human like I have with my bunny.  Your kindness and encouragement helped me tremendously! I am grateful. What amazes me is that after your losses, you keep going back and taking more bunnies into your care. Not me. When my 2 girls are gone, I'm done. It just hurts too much! You guys are true bunny warriors! You amaze me!

Lisa

[...]

rlkessler

Julie,

I am so sorry about your loss; Tiny was so special to you. I had a special needs rabbit, and know what you mean about the strong bond that come with having a bun with special needs.  You were blessed to have had Tiny in your life...and she was blessed to have had you in her life.  You gave her such good care..filled with love.  I am sending you wishes for healing, comfort, and peace.

Take care,
Roberta

linedgroundsquirrels

You are helping me heal after her loss as my emotional support companion. When Tiny's mysterious injury resulting in fx'd femur occurred in Jan. 2019, four options (amputation, surgery, PTS on the spot, or allowing a callous to form) were mentioned after her xray.  I spoke with my friend whose bun had his leg amputated at the same clinic, and things didn't go so well.  Tiny and I established a significant bond going forward with the callous option from her closed fx.  Thank you all for your consoling thoughts and advice.  I will make sure a Paypal donation is made to help keep this group going.