Topics

Manganese

JG

Hi Bunny friends.

Does anyone know whether a higher than average level of Manganese in the water is harmful to rabbits? I found out our city water is on the high end of manganese - up to 300 parts per million. I think for a person this is not a problem, but wondered whether it could cause any problems for rabbits?

My water softener will filter out manganese, but then of course the water would have some sodium from the softener, and I don’t know whether that would cause any rabbit problems?

My under sink filter system does not filter out manganese.

So I just wonder which water is safer for bunnies… soft water without manganese, or hard water with other contaminants filtered out, but containing manganese.

Thanks for any advise you might have. I really don’t want to have to start buying bottled water for the bunbuns, but if I need to, I will.

Julie

Meg Brown

Hi Julie,
       My understanding is that bunnies, cats, and humans should not drink water from a water softener, particularly due to the sodium level.

      Most people who I know that have a softener have had a reverse osmosis filtration device installed at their kitchen sink for drinking and cooking water.

     My area has very hard water.

    What I use now for drinking and cooking is a Zero Water filter.
      The difference in my water’s taste and the level of contaminates (indicated by the meter, included), is remarkable.  I have not had the manganese level tested...

     I do need to replace the filter but it’s no more costly than buying bottled water.

I invested in 4 one-half gallon glass jugs, which I keep the filtered water in.

Meg

On Sep 3, 2020, at 11:29 AM, JG via groups.io <bramblebunny@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you so much for this brand suggestion…. I called zero water and their filters DO filter out manganese, unlike Brita or others I’ve asked, so that is excellent!!

On 3 Sep 2020, at 10:49, Meg Brown <bustercharlie@...> wrote:

[...]

Christine J. Cox

Manganese is an essential mineral that both people and rabbits need, but tap water can contain too much.  My town water also contains a high level of manganese.  I had a total house mechanical water filter installed a year ago, but for years I have been using a Zero Water filter, which removes all minerals from the water.  I continue to use it in conjunction with the house filter, since I'm not confident all the minerals are removed by the house filter along.  The Zero Water filter is a relatively inexpensive and compact means of purifying your drinking water.  My buns have only been given filtered water to drink.

Christine