Topics

No-contact thermometer -- update

motek_and_gozal

I finally bought a no-contact thermometer for Osher. Taking my own temperature, it gave a reading within the normal range, though I didn't have a reliable reading to compare it to. Then I tried Pashosh. She has a few bald spots (due to a mysterious condition), one of which is conveniently located at her nape, where I was told by a vet to take the no-contact readings. Readings there were in the range of 95-98ºF. Pashosh is severely arthritic, but otherwise fine. I tried her cheek, where she has another bald spot, similar readings. Readings where she is furry were even lower and at the ears also low. Next came Osher. Aimed at his forehead, which is quite large, Osher being a big guy, showed only Lo errors. Aimed at the back of his neck, the readings were 91-2ºF.
Since my own readings were normal, the thermometer is not defective, but while this is anecdotal, this method appears to be unsuitable for rabbits. I am very disappointed and still on a quest to find a way to take big, ornery Osher's temperature...

Chris Norlund

Thanks for the update. Thats discouraging. Would be nice and a real game changer for so many rabbit owners. Don't give up yet though.  You may crack the code yet.     Maybe a new type of thermometer will come out that reads through fur.

Have you tried the base of the ear?
It's very vascular there.  Thats why that is the first place I look to check for flea dirt when I'm doing a wellness assessment on rabbits. The fleas go there for a good meal.

I just lost 2 of my closest and best ever rabbits within just a couple of months.  And going to a vet for anything serious during Covid is a nightmare for rabbit owners.
My big beautiful E-lop, Hops, died of probable Pancreatic cancer a couple of months ago. And about 2 wks ago I lost my beloved little Smidgen to a ruptured thymoma, which also came on quickly and without a lot of warning.
Hops was about 7 and Smidge just turned 9. She was born here.
Both were very healthy appearing and vivacious, and affectionate rabbits.  All of my most special and bonded to me rabbits are leaving me quickly these days.
I have a lot I could add to the thymoma discussion on EB, but have not the time nor the emotional energy to even try.  When things should be looking up and going better... the dark cloud comes to stay even longer. 2 close friends, and also 2 special rabbits -- all this year.  I just want to run away.  And so much to look forward to with my husband and both of those 2 friends all retiring this year.
 I'm getting paranoid that something catastrophic is next, and am frantic to get Dave to hurry up and retire. We both need to focus on our health and improve our activity and lifestyle. More exercise and work on getting  our weights down-- which is hard to do when we have our commitments and heavy work schedules. But I need him here, his help, and where I can better manage his health (which would help mine too).

2020 is not done with us all yet. I'm hot holding my breath that it's going to get better either. Especially with elections right around the corner.

So we all hang on!! Do our best, and find the beauty in each day. Love our bunnies and people in our lives, and find joy in what we do have. I find myself trying to start each day with that reminder,  now more than ever.

I hope you and your bunnies are doing your best too, in spite of  the challenges.

Kindest regards,
Chris