Non Ambulatory Bun

Romina

Hi Again
My rescue Dutchie (9/10?)  decided he is not going to use his rear left leg
It was always weak and he was compensating by extending his front left leg.
At this point, he's non-ambulatory and the poo, laundry and cleaning is ALOT so i am looking here  for some easier ways .
Today, Ipropped  him up with hay on both sides.
IThe other day i used towels. to prop up.
I have already shaven down the one side.
Any good ideas on clean up or making things comfortable for him and easier for me.
I also am thinking to cut up a yoga mat so at least that might give some grip and put that at the bottom of these hay or towel arrangements.
Weewee pads are slippery and maybe I'll interchange all these things to give me a break but if anyone has any better ideas please let me know.
There is nothing broken. He is on metacam as well. I used to exercise his legs but that didn't help.
Faux sheep material is on its way as well.
I realize this is the beginning of the end:(  as he will probably get weak from trying to stand up and won't be eating as much. Then bathing will be too much for both of us.
Been here already.

Thanks

christine7654321

Suggest you keep a very close eye on him, maybe with a remote camera, as they can fall over and get stuck, and panic. I kept my Oscar going for about six months in that condition, but only because my other rabbit adored him and doted on him, so I knew there was some quality of life there. Oscar was afraid to lay down and relax because he knew he couldn't get up again, so he really needed propping up. I would roll up both ends of a towel and flip it to make a hammock. Some sort of ground level hammock type thing will support him while not being dangerous--I'd experiment. And I suggest you go heavy on the metacam. It will harm his liver but so what? Love to your baby.

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 1:49 PM Romina <bunnyquestions108@...> wrote:
[...]

conejolover

Have you done a 28 day regimen of panacur/fenbendazole? My boy was on deaths door, totally going immobile, lethargic etc but after 5 days he was up and running around, on the 12th day hes finishing all his pellets which he hasn’t done in a year. You can get the fenbendazole goat dewormer from tractor supply for 32.00.. I spent thousands at the vet over the last 2 years with very little help, my vet said it was arthritis etc pretty sure it is ec she missed. So glad I did this. It wouldn’t hurt to at least try for your sweet dutchie!

Sent from Mail for Windows