Topics

Pain control for compressed spine discs, & long-term prognosis

linedgroundsquirrels

Hello etherbun,

I'd like advice re: our 12 1/2 yr. old girl who was diagnosed with compressed spine discs in July 2020.   She hopped okay in July but since then one of her hind legs splays outward.  She's unable to hop more than a couple inches when I place her down in her rectangular-shaped ex-pen (3ft. W x 7 ft. L)  with towel padding before her leg splays.  Her R-leg has a healed femur fx from January 2019.   (Her appetite is 50 % good, eating selective foods she likes.  Parsley, kale, red leaf, Oxbow red pepper simple rewards, romaine, being a bit picky but eating nonetheless.)  Our DVM took xrays to rule out any fx in her L-leg.  DVM says her splayed leg is a result of nerve damage from her compressed spine discs.  Meloxicam and Tramadol are her current pain meds to relieve discomfort from compressed spine discs.  I'm uncertain about having her PTS if she is still showing interest in eating when she's not drowsy from her Tramadol dose.   Qs: Has anyone had an elder rabbit with spine compression?   How was their Quality of Life and what pain meds did your DVM suggest?  How much time did you have with your bun if the spinal compression worsened and you did have to make a PTS decision?  Weeks, months?  I purchased an Assisi Loop but have only tried it twice on her, and I'm unsure if the therapy will bring relief I am hoping for.

Meg Brown

Hi,
    So sorry to hear of your bunny’s difficulties.  It does sound like she still enjoys life and is engaged in her surroundings.

   I have found that Gabapentin has made a noticeable difference in overall affect and pain relief when there has been nerve impingement (given along with Metacam, for severe arthritis).

      I’ve given Tramadol to some buns for a short period, but it does make them drowsy and slows theit appetite.

    I have not made a PTS decision for a mobility compromised rabbit as we have always been able to stay on top of the pain, it seems.  All of my buns have died at home, except for two, with other medical issues.
     I’ve lived with 12 paraplegic and 2 quadriplegic rabbits, for anywhere from 6 months to 4 years after their mobility became an issue, usually at a later age.
     Every bun had arthritis to some degree and several had compressed lumbar and or cervical discs.

      Everybun is individual, of course and a PTS decision is very personal.
      Your girl is very lucky to be so loved and cared for.
    Sincerely,
         Meg

On Sep 22, 2020, at 1:02 AM, linedgroundsquirrels via groups.io <linedgroundsquirrels@...> wrote:

[...]

BenBun'sMom

In addition to conventional drug therapies, if you have access to a rabbit qualified holistic vet who is certified in veterinary acupuncture, western and eastern therapeutic herbs, you may find additional resources both to help you make your PTS-or-not decision and to consider as adjuncts to bolster pharmaceuticals and in many cases reduce the dependency on them (and their common side effects).  I have not had a rabbit with compressed vertebrae in my care, but several of my high teen years rabbits have benefited considerably in both mobility and pain management with qualified application of these medical modes.  If you have a vet who was willing to Rx the Loop for you, perhaps you already have access to such holistic/complementary/adjunct post-doc training?  TCM (eastern herbs) are a rich source of pain reduction and are, when appropriately Rx'd, quite well suited to rabbit metabolism; extremely beneficial herbal compounds are available by Rx.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 1:02 AM linedgroundsquirrels via groups.io <linedgroundsquirrels=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

P.S.  Veterinary chiropractic may also help, although it's still pretty rare to find a doctor willing/able to work on the fragile skeleton of a rabbit or bird.  Might be worth the search!

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 7:56 PM Sharon Lloyd <lloydse@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you for all the input on our spine disc gal.   My very first disabled girl with hind limb paresis went to a chiropractor for several years.  I question if the back adjustments the herbal person did were actually helping, or hindering, preventing, a callous to form in her suspected lumbar injury.  Our 2019 fx'd femur gal's callous is evident on xrays taken earlier this year, and our DVM said it would be strong and not deteriorate if she hopped.  What wears on my mind is the  herbal vet (I took my Karla harlequin bun to around 2008) invested in her herbal company and sold cat treats made from rabbits and ducks.  Somehow I think back to my hind limb paresis gal and whether the chiropractor visits helped, or made her misaligned back or injury worse.   She was our first hind limb special needs' bun.  Our HRS chapter had a holistic vet talk at an education event a few years back, and she likewise spoke of rabbit flesh as a cool or warm element in carnivore food.

All your advice will help as we take one week at a time and I research on things to give her QOL in the weeks ahead.   I forgot to ask our DVM today if Cosequin sprinkled on top her salad greens will benefit her spayed leg and healed fx'd leg.  I'm not aware of an area accupuncturist.  I may try a towel sling or my Karla gal's retired wheelchair if that doesn't hurt Tiny compressed spine; Tiny has muscle atrophy in her shoulder area.

We are on treatment session #7 with the Assisi Loop.  The last 2 nights for the 1st time in weeks, our dutchie gal ate her evening salad almost entirely.  I will keep all suggestions in mind.   Our DVM sees a 15 y.o. bun who gets Assisi Loop therapy.   All input benefits our beloved companions.