Topics

Protection for tender hock

BenBun'sMom

One 10 y/o bunny is developing a pink hock so while we investigate that medically I need to review current and choice methods of comfortable, durable (heh heh), wrapping to forestall deterioration.  I have succeeded with a first dressing following the Medirabbit guide (bandage intact and ignored 3 hours post-application; I consider that a success).

I think I recall another wrap method that cuts or forms an " H " shape to bind around the heel, a design that allows free normal joint movement.  Where can I find that?  Any newer well-experienced designs?

Many thanks for guidance.

wendyandrayzer

You might want to try Collasate, available on Amazon.  It's a small tube of surgical dressing that costs about $20. Apply a tiny drop to the pink spot on the heel, then fold over the adjacent fur and hold it in place for a minute or two until it dries (like a comb-over).  You'll need to reapply every few days. It worked great on my 14 yo bunny, and he seemed to leave it alone and not mess with it.

paulette

Hello,
I wonder if you are referring to Dana Krempels suggestion of wrapping?
You will find her link as well as few other readings on the bottom of the page.
I hope this helps,
Paulette

On Wednesday, February 3, 2021, 08:32:35 PM EST, BenBun'sMom <lloydse@...> wrote:

One 10 y/o bunny is developing a pink hock so while we investigate that medically I need to review current and choice methods of comfortable, durable (heh heh), wrapping to forestall deterioration.  I have succeeded with a first dressing following the Medirabbit guide (bandage intact and ignored 3 hours post-application; I consider that a success).

I think I recall another wrap method that cuts or forms an " H " shape to bind around the heel, a design that allows free normal joint movement.  Where can I find that?  Any newer well-experienced designs?

Many thanks for guidance.

BenBun'sMom

I'll look into it, thank you!  The silver will help to prevent infection which we have so far avoided.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 9:11 AM wendyandrayzer via groups.io <wendyandrayzer=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
You might want to try Collasate, available on Amazon.  It's a small tube of surgical dressing that costs about $20. Apply a tiny drop to the pink spot on the heel, then fold over the adjacent fur and hold it in place for a minute or two until it dries (like a comb-over).  You'll need to reapply every few days. It worked great on my 14 yo bunny, and he seemed to leave it alone and not mess with it.

BenBun'sMom

Perfect, thank you Paulette.  I had only looked at Dana's Hunhare site.  Pippi's sore spot is way at the back of her hock/heel so the H wrap will be better shape for her.  So far so good though, as my bonafide "fabric artist" bunny has left my first wrap alone all night and continues to ambulate normally, even perhaps with some increased comfort.  Thanks again!