Topics

Pumpkin Shortage?

Nancy Ainsworth

In my area of CT we are seeing a disquieting shortage of canned pumpkin in our area stores - like entire shelves out, not available for on line purchasing either. It seems as though some small organic cans are available at premium prices, but they are in short supply if available at all, too. Does anyone know what is going on?
Nancy

BenBun'sMom

We went through that a month ago but it may just have been that last year's harvest (and canning) had been depleted because the shelves are being restocked now.  I also found the organic brand available on AMZ for ~$2 a can.  Pumpkin crops are just coming into harvest so shortages should resolve within a month.  Some years certain varieties are plagued by diseases that can wipe out crops, but I have not heard of that this year.  Lots of foodies are finding many new ways to use pumpkin for its fiber and nutrients, and vets are advising it for lots of cat and dog GI issues, too, so if your rabbits are demanding, better keep your inventory up :-)

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 1:39 PM Nancy Ainsworth via groups.io <jtawired=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
In my area of CT we are seeing a disquieting shortage of canned pumpkin in our area stores - like entire shelves out, not available for on line purchasing either. It seems as though some small organic cans are available at premium prices, but they are in short supply if available at all, too. Does anyone know what is going on?
Nancy

BenBun'sMom

P.S.  Sorry, forget AMZ, seems they've gone nuts with pricing again ...