question

veronica torres

hmm, so can i ask the majority of rabbit owners on this page : is it typical to have your rabbit be litter trained but still one or two droppings on your floor? is it just me? --
Veronica.T🎀

bpbhoo

when my buns were healthy, they mostly did their business in their litterboxes but random droppings outside of the litterbox would happen.  it was messy but it was natural for them so i just cleaned up after them.  you are lucky if it is just one or two droppings:)   sha

Ulrike

I'm happy if mine do all their pee in the litter box. :D Mine do loads of droppings on the floor but it doesn't really matter because they are quickly picked, swept or hoovered up.

On Thu, 27 May 2021 at 18:20, veronica torres <veronicaclairetorres@...> wrote:
hmm, so can i ask the majority of rabbit owners on this page : is it typical to have your rabbit be litter trained but still one or two droppings on your floor? is it just me? --
Veronica.T🎀
_._,._,

bpbhoo

if you have plants or a garden, you can use the rabbit pellets as fertilizer. they don't even need to be composted first.  sha

Marie Zientara

Yes, it’s normal to have a few droppings even when they are perfectly trained in their litter box. They just fly out of them while hopping in and out and they don’t even know it!
Marie

On May 27, 2021, at 12:48 PM, Ulrike <ferretlove.uk@...> wrote:

I'm happy if mine do all their pee in the litter box. :D Mine do loads of droppings on the floor but it doesn't really matter because they are quickly picked, swept or hoovered up.

On Thu, 27 May 2021 at 18:20, veronica torres <veronicaclairetorres@...> wrote:
hmm, so can i ask the majority of rabbit owners on this page : is it typical to have your rabbit be litter trained but still one or two droppings on your floor? is it just me? --
Veronica.T🎀
_._,._,

David L. Fisher

That is VERY normal.  Somethings a few poops stick to their fur (even if it's just from static electricity), poops roll around which helps them find their way around, and I think bunnies sometimes drop one or two by accident.

Dave

On 5/27/2021 1:19 PM, veronica torres wrote:
hmm, so can i ask the majority of rabbit owners on this page : is it typical to have your rabbit be litter trained but still one or two droppings on your floor? is it just me? --
Veronica.T🎀

Claudine Stone

Bunnies are instinctually territorial. So its natural for them to leave droppings to mark their territory. They also chin things and might even pee if they want to mark your heavily scented item like a bed or couch.

On May 27, 2021, at 3:00 PM, David L. Fisher <dlf@...> wrote:

That is VERY normal.  Somethings a few poops stick to their fur (even if it's just from static electricity), poops roll around which helps them find their way around, and I think bunnies sometimes drop one or two by accident.

Dave

On 5/27/2021 1:19 PM, veronica torres wrote:
hmm, so can i ask the majority of rabbit owners on this page : is it typical to have your rabbit be litter trained but still one or two droppings on your floor? is it just me? --
Veronica.T🎀

lakesancutuary

I can't say whether or not it is typical, but seems to me that a poop or two just flew out sometimes when they hopped out of the litter box.  and Roxie at one point decided to start munching on the hay standing outside the box and left a pile of poop then hopped in to finish her meal and toilet.  Rarely if ever found a stray pool anywhere else in the house.

Martha and our sweet dog Fletcher

--
Martha and her angel bunnies Cappy, Biscuit & Roxie

David L. Fisher

In my case, poops are usually just outside the litterbox to start, but then they get kicked around when Monty uses the litterbox (jumping in and out) and sometimes I track one further away from the litterbox.  I almost always see some poops near her litterbox (yes, Monty is a female, not a male as we originally thought).

You might also see a line of poops declaring a territorial border (tho that's more likely when you have multiple rabbits).  If you see a small collection in one place, your bunny might have made them intentionally - but those random poops are, in my 25 years of experience with rabbits, to be expected.

Dave

On 5/27/2021 3:57 PM, lakesancutuary via groups.io wrote:
[...]

BenBun'sMom

Now this thread is headed in the right and proper direction.  And we should all remember how utterly joyful and grateful we are each day to see wonderful hay-flecked fecals from our happy, healthy, rabbits, wherever they may fall.  In any loving pet rabbit home, excellent fecals equal human bliss!  Can I have an Amen?!

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 4:36 PM David L. Fisher <dlf@...> wrote:

[...]

Besides an Amen - I recall many a vet visit where I didn't have to bring a particular stool sample - my bunnies were more than happy to provide one during the exam.  Sometimes I also find them down the hall if Monty chose to hang out there while I slept - not sure if her fur carried them or made them there, which she sometimes does.

My best solution to housing and mess-containment is an area rug over a piece of tarp (cut to size) - on that rug I don't much care about hay, poops, fur, etc, and can easily clean it.  The tarp is less for pee (accidental or intentional) and more due to some bunnies just love to spill things (their water, my water or coffee, etc) if they can.

Unlike most poops, bunny poops are not offensive to handle - they should not smell, they should be basically well-formed and dry almost immediately, and they leave nothing to be cleaned off the carpet.  You can sweep, vacuum, or just pick them up.  If they are soft and/or smelly, and NOT cecals (pungent "grape cluster"), then it's time to look further into what might be wrong with the digestive system.

Dave

On 5/27/2021 4:41 PM, BenBun'sMom wrote:
[...]

mary

I have had 15 rabbits (not all at once) and NONE of them kept their poops in the litter box. Vacuuming and sweeping is frequent. You are lucky.... and maybe expecting too much out of an animal! What did you know about rabbits before taking one?
Mary, Boo Boo and Baby

John Gee

Hi,

The responses from the group describe how most house rabbits poop. I've had rabbits, foster rabbits ,and have volunteered at animal shelters for years. Rabbits poop in  , near .behind, over their little box. Your rabbits sound like a gem with great litter box habits.

There are litter boxes for elder cats with a lower entry point on the side or corner. Oxbox  Company ( the hay company ) produce a litter box for small animals. It is the -- Oxbow Enriched Life Rectangle small animal litter box. It has a lower corner for easy entrance & exit. There  are plastic pieces you can add to the back and sides. I have not used this product . I have cut cat litter boxes lower for my rabbits. The plastic is hard and difficult to cut.