Rosehips


motek_and_gozal
 

I have been giving rose hips as a treat for years in the hope it will help with arthritis. Not sure if it does or not, have definitely had bunnies who developed severe arthritis while on it (along with other stuff), but it seems like a healthy treat. I have a new girl, estimated age 5 months. She doesn't want apple or carrot, but loves her rose hips. I have been giving her 2 tbs. twice a day. I was looking at the binky bunny website and they say "rose hips (adult bunnies only)". Does anyone know of a reason I shouldn't give my young girl rose hips or should restrict quantities?

Thanks,

Tal


Erik and Maizey aka crazy Maizey
 

Some say the seeds in rosehips can get lodged in trachea or GI tract. Also, the tiny hairs inside rosehips could cause irritation within GI tract as well. This isn’t the case for most buns(obviously not yours whom have enjoyed the healthy treat for years) but may be why not advised for a developing tummy. 


David L. Fisher
 

Hmm, does this refer to dried rosehips or just fresh?  I got some dried rosehips which my bunnies love to munch on as a treat, and they didn't cause any issues.

Dave


On 6/7/2021 11:59 AM, hopefullysomedaysoon@... wrote:
Some say the seeds in rosehips can get lodged in trachea or GI tract. Also, the tiny hairs inside rosehips could cause irritation within GI tract as well. This isn’t the case for most buns(obviously not yours whom have enjoyed the healthy treat for years) but may be why not advised for a developing tummy. 


Erik and Maizey aka crazy Maizey
 

Some say, this can or could. “This isn’t the case for most buns.”

just giving an overprotective/paranoid worst case scenario. 


David L. Fisher
 

I was wondering more if this refers to fresh, dried, or both - just in case.


On 6/7/2021 4:09 PM, Erik and Maizey aka crazy Maizey wrote:
Some say, this can or could. “This isn’t the case for most buns.”

just giving an overprotective/paranoid worst case scenario. 


paulette
 

Hi David,

I'm assuming you have dried "cracked" rose hips and not whole rose hips(?).

There is a seed in the whole rose hip, but I've never seen any in the cracked rose hips.

As for hairs, I believe that would apply to the "fresh" rose hips.

Hope this helps.

Paulette

On Monday, June 7, 2021, 04:21:27 PM EDT, David L. Fisher <dlf@...> wrote:


I was wondering more if this refers to fresh, dried, or both - just in case.


On 6/7/2021 4:09 PM, Erik and Maizey aka crazy Maizey wrote:
Some say, this can or could. “This isn’t the case for most buns.”

just giving an overprotective/paranoid worst case scenario. 


Erik and Maizey aka crazy Maizey
 

Both.
Usually the seeds are removed when dried, depending on who prepared them. Most the hairs are on the seeds but there are more along the inner walls of the rosehip as well.

this link pertains to human consumption, but the irritation mentioned is worse upon rabbit’s digestive tract and additionally their respiratory system. 

https://www.plantfoodathome.com/what-are-rose-hips-and-how-to-eat-them/

otherwise...tons of vitamin C!! And never caused an issue with any bunny I’ve known.


paulette
 

Good article. It appears article pertains to "fresh" rose hips, which should never be given to rabbits...my understanding is only the "dried" cut, sometimes described as cracked rose hips are safe for rabbits and Guinea pigs.

I only purchase Organic dried cut rose hips from Mountain Rose Herbs or Starwest Botanicals, and I have never seen any seeds or hairy parts:).

Paulette


On Monday, June 7, 2021, 05:05:26 PM EDT, Erik and Maizey aka crazy Maizey <hopefullysomedaysoon@...> wrote:


Both.
Usually the seeds are removed when dried, depending on who prepared them. Most the hairs are on the seeds but there are more along the inner walls of the rosehip as well.

this link pertains to human consumption, but the irritation mentioned is worse upon rabbit’s digestive tract and additionally their respiratory system. 

https://www.plantfoodathome.com/what-are-rose-hips-and-how-to-eat-them/

otherwise...tons of vitamin C!! And never caused an issue with any bunny I’ve known.


David L. Fisher
 

I got mine from Sweet Meadow Farm, and all of the bunnies that I've offered them to really liked them and I didn't see any issues.  They're small dried flakes, and I thought they were meant to be ground up and added to food, but they also work as treats.  The bunnies just crunch them down.  :)

Dave


On 6/7/2021 5:46 PM, paulette via groups.io wrote:
Good article. It appears article pertains to "fresh" rose hips, which should never be given to rabbits...my understanding is only the "dried" cut, sometimes described as cracked rose hips are safe for rabbits and Guinea pigs.

I only purchase Organic dried cut rose hips from Mountain Rose Herbs or Starwest Botanicals, and I have never seen any seeds or hairy parts:).

Paulette


On Monday, June 7, 2021, 05:05:26 PM EDT, Erik and Maizey aka crazy Maizey <hopefullysomedaysoon@...> wrote:


Both.
Usually the seeds are removed when dried, depending on who prepared them. Most the hairs are on the seeds but there are more along the inner walls of the rosehip as well.

this link pertains to human consumption, but the irritation mentioned is worse upon rabbit’s digestive tract and additionally their respiratory system. 

https://www.plantfoodathome.com/what-are-rose-hips-and-how-to-eat-them/

otherwise...tons of vitamin C!! And never caused an issue with any bunny I’ve known.


paulette
 

Hi Tal,

Occasionally I have offered my rabbits cracked/cut dried rose hips as a "treat" but not too much and not daily.  Rose hips contain sugars ( fructose, sucrose, glucose ) so that's another reason I would limit it.

Below is a recommended dosage from a bunny site that I had on file..

Recommended dosage ( this is for the cut/cracked rose hips )
Small and medium rabbits - 1/4 teaspoon; larger rabbits - 1/3 teaspoon; rosehips can be given daily."  ..... Although personally I would not offer daily due to the sugar content, ( unless maybe I'd decrease the amount a bit ).

I would follow the recommendation on the Binky Bunny's website, as the information is from a Certified herbalist ( floppers garden ) and I believe a long time fellow bunny rescuer/lover.
Recommended: 1/4 tsp, three times a week. 

Hope this helps,

Paulette


On Monday, June 7, 2021, 01:05:11 AM EDT, motek_and_gozal via groups.io <talsaarony@...> wrote:


I have been giving rose hips as a treat for years in the hope it will help with arthritis. Not sure if it does or not, have definitely had bunnies who developed severe arthritis while on it (along with other stuff), but it seems like a healthy treat. I have a new girl, estimated age 5 months. She doesn't want apple or carrot, but loves her rose hips. I have been giving her 2 tbs. twice a day. I was looking at the binky bunny website and they say "rose hips (adult bunnies only)". Does anyone know of a reason I shouldn't give my young girl rose hips or should restrict quantities?

Thanks,

Tal


Kinenchen
 

I've fed brambles (roses, blackberries, raspberries, dewberries, etc. I rinse and sun dry them) from my garden for years without issues. They nibble the thorns off rose trimmings first. 

Dried whole rose hips from various online shops are also a welcome treat in our house. Frontier and Starwood both package organic rose hips as loose tea. The quality is reliable; they're fragrant and not dusty. 

I don't give more than a pinch; the nutrition data for fresh rose hips suggest they're quite nutritious. https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/ethnic-foods/10470/2 Dried is slightly less nutritious, but still great as a treat, especially relative to packaged treats. https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/2340250/2

I'm always skeptical of "some [people] say". The plural of anecdote isn't "data", but at least with anecdotes and personal opinions, you can ask the person questions about their experience and reasonings. 

Christie Taylor


On Mon, Jun 7, 2021, 5:52 PM David L. Fisher <dlf@...> wrote:

I got mine from Sweet Meadow Farm, and all of the bunnies that I've offered them to really liked them and I didn't see any issues.  They're small dried flakes, and I thought they were meant to be ground up and added to food, but they also work as treats.  The bunnies just crunch them down.  :)

Dave


On 6/7/2021 5:46 PM, paulette via groups.io wrote:
Good article. It appears article pertains to "fresh" rose hips, which should never be given to rabbits...my understanding is only the "dried" cut, sometimes described as cracked rose hips are safe for rabbits and Guinea pigs.

I only purchase Organic dried cut rose hips from Mountain Rose Herbs or Starwest Botanicals, and I have never seen any seeds or hairy parts:).

Paulette


On Monday, June 7, 2021, 05:05:26 PM EDT, Erik and Maizey aka crazy Maizey <hopefullysomedaysoon@...> wrote:


Both.
Usually the seeds are removed when dried, depending on who prepared them. Most the hairs are on the seeds but there are more along the inner walls of the rosehip as well.

this link pertains to human consumption, but the irritation mentioned is worse upon rabbit’s digestive tract and additionally their respiratory system. 

https://www.plantfoodathome.com/what-are-rose-hips-and-how-to-eat-them/

otherwise...tons of vitamin C!! And never caused an issue with any bunny I’ve known.