Topics

Syphillis - time sentive question, thanks!!!

Romina

Hi Again

We recently had a syphills (tested positive)  bun on 2 weeks Zithro. The very well respected Exotics vet figured that would be easier than Pen G.

At first it was one week course of zithro but then i was told to do another week of zithro when i mentioned putting this bun on a speed date. I cant reach the vet right now and want to ask folks here if 2 weeks on Zithro does the trick - makes him totally non contagious.
I just want to be 1000% sure as some adopters are really cautious and we fully disclose any medical conditions.

While the typical syphilis crustiness has gone away, there still is a 1 square inch hairless patch where the it was.
I figure thats the scar tissue probably from years of having the lesion and it was under the chin

So two questions, is he clear from infecting another bun and 2 is the pink square inch under his chin where the crust was just scar tissue?

Thanks

vivian` barna

Thanks anyways, i got my answer!!! Hes going on a date!!!

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 6:02 PM Romina <bunnyquestions108@...> wrote:
[...]

Kinenchen

I've usually seen bunnies with syphilis treated with penicillin G, via subcutaneous injections over the course of several weeks. Did the Zithro clear up the infection? Did the vet confirm the infection with a skin scraping or was it just based on the symptoms?

I've read that azithromycin can be used in human syphilis cases; I'm curious if it's just as effective for the bunny version of the disease for my future reference.

Christie Taylor

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 9:27 PM vivian` barna <kailashananda108108@...> wrote:
[...]

Quick response...im bunny slaving:)

Yes it cleared up the crust but i think theres. Scar tissue still. One sq inch dry pinl hairless skin. He prob had this for months or years.
A jr vet there said 2 weeks zithro should do it

The vet is a respected medl director.
Positive on lab rests for treponema aka syphlis