TRIPOD BUN WITH SARCOMA

Romina

I think we didnt discuss radiation because the sarcoma is in the joint. its not like its a tumor.
How would it be removed from a joint?
Could a rabbit handle radiation?
I would not think so.

mark

Yes, they can.
Our first bun had a fibro sarcoma in his jaw.
Radiaton was used to shrink it back during surgery.
They sedated him, then used small bean-bags as weights to keep his head still during the treatment.
After his treatments he snoozed the rest of the afternoon and was back to normal by night.

However few buns are brought in for radiation, so the radio-oncologists werent sure how to dose him.
They settled on dosing like he was a cat.

It worked well.

HTH,
mark

On 8/18/2021 1:24 PM, Romina wrote:
I think we didnt discuss radiation because the sarcoma is in the joint. its not like its a tumor.
How would it be removed from a joint?
Could a rabbit handle radiation?
I would not think so.

gabbysbunnies

What about chemotherapy?  I had a bunny who had a tumor stuck to the side of his stomach that was inoperable.  He did have chemo but the clinic admitted that they had had little to no experience with rabbits.  He was fine for 2 days after the chemo but then developed a very high fever and passed away.  I always felt that at least we gave him a chance.

I also had 2 tri-pod bunnies - but both had rear legs amputated - not front.  I don't know how a bunny would be able to balance on one front leg.

Good luck!
Gabrielle LaManna
Educator, New Fairfield, CT

On Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 04:48:32 PM EDT, mark via groups.io <mark318318@...> wrote:

Yes, they can.
Our first bun had a fibro sarcoma in his jaw.
Radiaton was used to shrink it back during surgery.
They sedated him, then used small bean-bags as weights to keep his head still during the treatment.
After his treatments he snoozed the rest of the afternoon and was back to normal by night.

However few buns are brought in for radiation, so the radio-oncologists werent sure how to dose him.
They settled on dosing like he was a cat.

It worked well.

HTH,
mark

On 8/18/2021 1:24 PM, Romina wrote:
I think we didnt discuss radiation because the sarcoma is in the joint. its not like its a tumor.
How would it be removed from a joint?
Could a rabbit handle radiation?
I would not think so.

mark

They ruled out chemo right away because of buns' delicate GI system.
Fortunately his tumor was localized so it could be targeted by radiation.

-mark

On 8/18/2021 6:21 PM, gabbysbunnies via groups.io wrote:
[...]

oops.

By "during surgery",  I meant "before surgery".
Which was to remove the rest of the tumor after the radiation shrunk it back.
Which it did.

-mark