Use of echinacea for immune support in bunny

Maureen Las

Hi,
I have a 3 yr old mini Rex , adopted at 3 months, who has had several bouts of pasturella treated for more than 6 weeks with bicillin and baytril together. It saddens me to think that he may continue to have relapses and be on meds at such a young age.
I know nothing about herbal treatments and do not have access to an holistic exotic vet here in southwest Wi.
From what I have read echinacea can be used for immune support. I noted that Small Pet Select in Washington state sells echinacea roots and also flowers, leaves and stems for guinea pigs and rabbits.
I bought Infantum Echinacea baby drops which is gluten, nut and sugar free.
It contains 30 mg echinacea pupurea (purple coneflower) root extract and 30 mg echinacea herb extract. A human infant of any weight is to receive 2mls once daily.
I attempted to find dosages for rabbits per weight and mg in online forums ,however can only find people stating that they give a drop or two for several weeks and then discontinue
No one mentions that milligrams/ml on different brands are different.
Can anyone give me more info on the use of echinacea ( or other herbs) for immune support? Should I even use herbs on a rabbit? Can anyone be specific about amounts as I learned that not giving an adequate dosage often is the reason the herb is deemed ineffective.
Should I order the actual root from Small Pet Select? rather than drops?
😊 Thanks
Maureen Las

merilwyn

Your rabbit needs to be nebulized with Gentamicin!!

I have a 3 yr old mini Rex , adopted at 3 months, who has had several bouts of pasturella treated for more than 6 weeks  with bicillin and baytril together. It saddens me to think that he may continue to have relapses and be on meds at such a young age.
I know nothing about herbal treatments and do not have access to an holistic exotic vet here in southwest Wi.
From what I have read echinacea can be used for immune support. I noted that Small  Pet Select in Washington state sells echinacea roots and also flowers, leaves and stems for guinea pigs and rabbits.
[...]

christine7654321

My vet prescribed liquid echinacea, to be pulsed 5 days a month for immune support for pasturella. He did not know how to dose it properly with flowers or other supplements. I have no information about how much is too much, and neither did he. Anyway, maybe your vet can prescribe the medical stuff (there is no info on my bottle about the strength of the dosage). If he/she hasn't heard of it, maybe research?

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 5:45 PM Maureen Las <maureenlas@...> wrote:

Hi,
I have a 3 yr old mini Rex , adopted at 3 months, who has had several bouts of pasturella treated for more than 6 weeks  with bicillin and baytril together. It saddens me to think that he may continue to have relapses and be on meds at such a young age.
I know nothing about herbal treatments and do not have access to an holistic exotic vet here in southwest Wi.
From what I have read echinacea can be used for immune support. I noted that Small  Pet Select in Washington state sells echinacea roots and also flowers, leaves and stems for guinea pigs and rabbits.